Hi All!

I've dyed some purse shoulder strap edges black (not veg tan), let dry 24 hours, and then have burnished with saddle soap. The edges look alright, but I tested with a little water and buffed with cloth to make sure that nothing would come off on someones clothes and sure enough, black. So, my "water resistant" dye is a bust? or did I make a mistake by using saddle soap? I want to make sure I get happy customers...not customers that need me to buy them new shirts. :/

Noted that I could try to roll edges, but I'm not quite at that level yet!

Any help is much appreciated!

Just found thread with the idea to use art Acrylic gel mediums (for painting) or Mod Podge to help seal in the dye and give chrome tanned leather edges a bit of polish. So far, inital tests have been good! In tests, I have sanded, dyed, sanded and burnished (with saddle soap or Gum T) then applied Mod Podge to the edges. I will post later for final results. I'm hoping there will be great flexibility/no cracking with this!

Unfortunately, Mod Podge is not water proof either. The instructions tell you to apply an acrylic or something over the MP. Some around here use Mop & Glo. Always wondered what Pledge floor saver mixed with water would do.

Thanks Red Cent - yeah, the ModPodge was a bust. It's too tacky and messy and when dried, it just came off anyway (easily). I eventually sanded down, redyed and then applied Minwax Polycrylic then saddle soap to soften. Time and use is the real test, but so far it seems to be a better solution. The dye doesn't rub off anymore and I have a nice shine to my edges. Not perfect, but for non-rolled edges on chrome tanned...not bad.