Eccho

Using Alphabet Stamps

I made this a couple days ago. It's a letter stamp jig and could probably be modified to work with most stamps. It's working great for me. Since the materials are cheap and easy to drill, someone with more talent than I have could probably make jigs for letters on a curve or in a circle.

Letter Jig

Joe;

I've been working on a prototype that would allow you to use the "I" in your words.

It's just a 1/2 inch groove with a 5/8 counter bore that will accommodate 7-8 letters.

I put it in the shop press and give it 1/2 ton worth of pressure.

Kevin.

print jig.JPG

post-19342-0-84024900-1392652754_thumb.j

Kevin, I really like that. I'll have to give that a try, too.

It can be made fairly quickly, I think this wooden one I made took about twenty minutes on the router table.

If I was using it a lot I would have one machined out of metal but with the wood I can make a strip three feet long and just cut a new one if I needed it.

Here's an end view ...

print jig2.JPG

post-19342-0-29482400-1392655867_thumb.j

It can be made fairly quickly, I think this wooden one I made took about twenty minutes on the router table.

If I was using it a lot I would have one machined out of metal but with the wood I can make a strip three feet long and just cut a new one if I needed it.

Here's an end view ...

Great idea. I have been meaning to sit down to come up with a way to do this but just haven't found the time. I think this will make it super easy. I can put this on the router table and have it knocked out in minutes.

Thanks for sharing,

Karina

The only thing I didn't mention is the 1/2 inch router bit is a half a hair too large to get a friction fit so when I inverted the stamp to place it on the leather the individual stamps would have fallen out so to keep them secure I used rubber cement in the groove of the jig and it did the trick.

I made this a couple days ago. It's a letter stamp jig and could probably be modified to work with most stamps. It's working great for me. Since the materials are cheap and easy to drill, someone with more talent than I have could probably make jigs for letters on a curve or in a circle.

Freakin Brilliant! Since all my names are vertical, the I is always a bear. I am getting it perfect now but with lots of effort. Your way I can have all the letters pressed tight and aligned, then tap an initial impression or maybe use a steel bar on the arbor press, then go back and arbor each individual letter. I'm going to do some testing later toda.

Thanks!

Bob

Corrected link to article.

Had some issues with internet.  That article on Tutorial--Typography in Leather  has been moved to:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgV6aH_FkHa5lBX_kNceroW2elQju_XW/view