Toolerlass

Burnishing Using A Dremmel

Thanks to humperdingle, i've had some great ones made for me to my measurements, (the inside burnisher was an extra bonus!) the guy who did them is in the UK and says he can make a set for £20 if anyones looking. Thanks again

post-46270-0-46138200-1392219550_thumb.j

Edited by Toolerlass

Thanks to humperdingle, i've had some great ones made for me to my measurements, (the inside burnisher was an extra bonus!) the guy who did them is in the UK and says he can make a set for £20 if anyones looking. Thanks again

Excellent - They look great!

Have you managed to try them out yet? How fast was that BTW!

I haven't got them yet just got the pic and paid today, he made them next day after telling him what i wanted etc. great service :-)

I haven't got them yet just got the pic and paid today, he made them next day after telling him what i wanted etc. great service :-)

Have you got any contact info for him please?

Cheers

Zip

Hi Zip,

I've PM'd his email

why not just post it for all to see? I'm sure if he's doing it for money he'd be glad of the custom!

If he gives permission i will

Okies he said yes. He's called John and his email is:

joynjon@btinternet.com

£15 each or £20 for a set i dunno if that price is set or not though depending on what you want

Thats excellent :-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-bench-grinder-with-light-61318.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-jacobs-keyed-chuck-45731.html

Get the grinder, remove the grinding wheels, guards ( we don’t need stinking guards), and other stuff and you wind up with two shafts. Put a keyed chuck (keyless will be more expensive) on each shaft and you can use anything within the chucks’ capacity for a burnisher.

The grinders are relatively small and just a little noisy but not much more than the Dremel. The chucks tap onto the shafts with a little help with a hammer. Press fit. Measure the shaft diameter and you are off to better burnishing.

After seeing this the other day I contacted John about a couple of burnishers.They arrived yesterday, I have had to modify them slightly, the slots were a bit straight to do the beveled edges of leather, but it was a 5 minute job with some sandpaper and they seem to work brilliantly. I've contacted John again with a picture of what I had done and he said they should be no problem to make with a slightly rounder inside edge - he said he didn't even really know what they were supposed to look like or were used for until he looked them up on youtube so I'd say a pretty good start!

Here's a few pics of a quick edge done with the burnisher in my dremel, using water then a quick rub of beeswax and the two burnishers themselves. Really happy with them.

VDK5jA5.jpg

ekMpNPw.jpg

zMhnQ6e.jpg

I am having problems with mine. I think my (top craft)-wannabe-dremel is going to fast, even at the lowest setting, as the leather gets dark and leather hair sticks out. How many rpm does your do, when you are burnishing?

I am having problems with mine. I think my (top craft)-wannabe-dremel is going to fast, even at the lowest setting, as the leather gets dark and leather hair sticks out. How many rpm does your do, when you are burnishing?

I've found around 12,000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for mine. Tried faster to begin with and it seemed to be burning the leather as you mention. My wannabe dremel goes from 8-35,000 rpm in 1k increments so was quite easy to quickly find something that worked.