Kanuist

Snaps - Easy To Install And Long Life

I always seem to have problems setting snaps and getting them to work properly. I'd like some advise on the best way to set them, so they work properly. Or perhaps an option for a type of snap that doesn't use a setting tool.

I've also had problem with rivets, but then found blue jean rivets that just tap together without a setter. I find these much easier to use.

Suggestions please? Specifically I need to make a holster with belt loops that snap on/off.

I think this Tandy video is a good guide : http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.au/en-aud/Setting-Snap-Fasteners-Line-24-S.aspx

The only advice I would add is 1) tap gently at first. Don't belt the hell out of it and 2) file down the shaft/s if they are too long for the thickness of leather you are using. Around 3mm above the leather is enough.

Lastly you could always buy a hand press, something like this : http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.au/en-aud/search/site-search-results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=Hand+press ......but they are not cheap.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

I give it a few lighter taps then finish with firm hits. Maybe 10 of each. I have found that it's best to start the bending process slowly and they don't fold over to one side as much. Similar for rivets. But I use a arbor press for rivets now.

Also, make sure the tool is straight up and down. Make sure you are hitting it with the mallet directly perpindicular to the tool.

If you're hitting it an angle or the tool is at an angle, you will split the tube at and angle rather than rounding it over evenly.

Cheers!

For hand setting the given advice is really good. Ask yourself how many snaps you will be setting, if its a lot, the presses are the way to go.

Chuck

My problem with snaps is that I only work with about 13 oz. leather, either harness or saddle skirting. It's almost impossible to properly set a line 24 snap in that thickness because there's not enough post above the snap to roll over. I've had to skive areas down that I would otherwise leave full thickness. Now I just use long Chicago screws.

Are you using extra long post snaps?

I use the heritage foot press from Weaver, an it work wonderful. make sure the post is long enough