Sjohnsone

Chromexcel Project Ideas? Footwear?

Howdy and good day folks.

I bought a 22 sq ft chromexcel hide and the leather is a bit differnt veg tan, which I'm used to. It's a bit stretchy and it's beautiful really - the awl goes through it like butter.

Does anyone have any project ideas it would be good for? I was thinking about maybe trying to replicate a pair of boat shoes or moccasins with it, but I have ZERO experience doing footwear, though I really want to learn (any links for making of shoes would be greatly appreciated).

Has anyone used it for bags? Does it stretch too easy with weight in it?

I made my first and only messenger bag with chrome tanned leather and lined it with thin embossed veg tanned. It came out great and I'm not having any problems with stretch. It is rough out chrome if you look in my gallery, not the nicer excel. I think that would make gorgeous bags!!!!!Sorry don't know how to do footwear. Cheryl

I'm fairly sure I've read that Chromexcel will rub off on clothes when used to make bags

Well ain't that a bummer. I'm assuming you're talking about the oilyness it has to it and not the dye? I feel like I should do a test of this on some white linen and provide results.

I would test it out with the hide you have.

Have made a number of angle wallets and wrist bands with CXL and no probs in my pockets or clothes with bleed out. It is more of a waxy than oily leather.

Those are good project ideas btw......minimal wallets, card holders,wrist and watch bands.

It is a lovely leather to work with

Edited by WScott

That is a great link, thanks for posting it!

I would kill for that leather jacket

I shouldn't have spoken so soon. My messenger bag is chrome tanned not chrome xl and I've had no trouble with bleeding. Sorry to steer you wrong. But I don't understand why this is the top choice for wallets, etc. if it bleeds it's color? I have some noe I'm making into a wallet. Cheryl

It doesn't make much sense, but that interview is with a Horween employee. You'd think the color rub off wouldn't be bad if people make wallets since that rubs your pocket all day.

Man that jacket is sweet. I wonder who made it? Probably goes for a small fortune.

Thanks for the input and information guys.

I think they allude to the wax/ oil rubbing off not the dye. Much like other oil tanned leathers sometimes can.

Oh that jacket and the shoes aren't too bad either. That is a really cool website

Gorgeous stuff but it does skuff up. I just give my wallet and key chain fobs a little buff they come back up. Mine are CXL horse strips

Edited by WScott

"Due to the high grease content, the dyes/stains used to color the leather become very mobile and have a tendency to rub off on light colored clothing."

That sounds like color rub to me. I don't have any first hand experience with chromexcel though.

I guess it varies hide by hide.

The wallets and such I have made have not been an issue....not that the potential isn't there with such tanned leathers.

It would only take one bad run to ruin things.

Edited by WScott