X53Gunner

Husqvarna Viking?

unnamed_zps8b6e24b3.jpg

Anybody know anything about these? New to the hobby and know I need a better machine for leather than this but everbody has to start somewhere. Looking to sew wallets, holsters and belts...

Thanks for your input and information. Was also looking at some of the older antique black singers. Just don't know what I should pull the trigger on to get me off and running.

Scott

I run with scissors as it makes me feel dangerous!

Here is a machine built to sew leather wallets, holster and sheathes. It has a capacity of 1/2 inch of hard leather and handles up to #415 bonded thread.

That would be a great machine however like I said I have to start somewhere. Not everyone can afford a machine of the quality and level starting out. Upon further research i decided not to go with the Viking and am going to start looking for a used older walking foot machine. Thanks!

Scott

I started with nice black iron vintage singers. I have about 40, as I restore them. Then, I moved to a Pfaff 130 with a bigger motor from Zeus. I have a 15yo Husquvarna that could not handle any leather. DO NOT get sucked into ebay sellers that label machines as 'industrial'. If the seller of the husky you are looking at says that it can be used for leather, then ask for a demonstration. And when you test a machine, take along some stuff to stitch yourself.

What you need to determine is what the gears are made of. You need all metal gears and shafts. With a metal singer 66(great for beginners), you will be able to realistically sew 3 oz of leather with a leather needle and upholstery thread.

To sew tooling leather, or anything heavier, you will need a true leather machine. After 2 years of doing handbags with my vintage machines, I got an old Consew 226.

PM me privately and we can correspond.

post-42490-0-62556100-1392307615_thumb.j

Ok, Thanks for the reply! I skipped on the Viking after some research. I will just had sew for awhile and save up some cash until I can find a deal on a leather machine. Have a great day!

Scott