First post here, I figured I'd show y'all my progress since starting this craft a few months ago.

The wallet with 4 pockets is my first of that design and I've been using it myself since making it (3 months or so ago). Since then I've learned quite a bit more about finishing the edges and have a much better idea of what I'm doing with that. Still working on getting my stitching to look clean though. I'm using one of the 4 prong punches from Tandy and can't seem to get really consistent results on the thicker projects (like wallets). Anyway, thanks for looking!

tumblr_n0spz78UwQ1tsoc6vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n0mwhr7sRv1tsoc6vo1_500.jpg

post-49574-0-55520800-1392062956_thumb.j

post-49574-0-79564900-1392062972_thumb.j

That's some good work there. I like the design on the wallet, simple, flowing.

Might just be me but I think some of your issues with the stitching is the thickness of your thread. It seems a little heavy for the length of your stitches. Hope this helps.

That's some good work there. I like the design on the wallet, simple, flowing.

Thanks! I tried to make the card slots asymetrical like that for that reason :)

Might just be me but I think some of your issues with the stitching is the thickness of your thread. It seems a little heavy for the length of your stitches. Hope this helps.

Hmm, I've never considered that! I'm using the natural waxed thread from tandy, any other reccomendations for thread? Definitely helps though, thank you.

All looks good to me. Nice to see a fellow WNC'r on here.

Thanks! And for sure, I would have thought Asheville would have a lot of people into this craft but so far, I haven't seen too many.

Lovely work.

Thank you!

looks nice and solid.

But I gotta stick with rosiart. Exspecially for a wallet I´d use a thinner thread. I never bought thread form Tandy, so I don´t know what size that is, but I think I´d go for some 0.8mm or maybe even thinner (depends on the holes and the appearence you want to achieve). I for myself just use some braided polyester-thread and the different sizes are marked in the diameter (in mm), So I don´t know, what thread you prefer and what size it should have.

In addition I think you might wanna try some edge work. They look a bit fuzzy to me, so I´d polish them or at least smooth them down. In my eyes that might be a big upgrade to you wallet. (But anyways: it´s a nice piece of work and I like it. ;) )

looks nice and solid.

But I gotta stick with rosiart. Exspecially for a wallet I´d use a thinner thread. I never bought thread form Tandy, so I don´t know what size that is, but I think I´d go for some 0.8mm or maybe even thinner (depends on the holes and the appearence you want to achieve). I for myself just use some braided polyester-thread and the different sizes are marked in the diameter (in mm), So I don´t know, what thread you prefer and what size it should have.

In addition I think you might wanna try some edge work. They look a bit fuzzy to me, so I´d polish them or at least smooth them down. In my eyes that might be a big upgrade to you wallet. (But anyways: it´s a nice piece of work and I like it. ;) )

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely search for some thinner thread. I was having to use pliers to pull the thread through on my backstitches so you're probably right, this stuff is too thick! As for the edges, I definitely agree, I checked out the thread on edging and have since made a few more that look much more "finished" with glassy smooth edges. I appreciate your imput :)

You are welcome. I am just happy if I could help you in some way ;)

And I am pleased that you found and like the edging thread. (Even if I read it a lot, I think it couldn´t be said enough: I like this forum *laugh*)

I think it is a general thing you might wanna keep in mind:

If anything (exspecially standart steps like stitching and so on) doesn´t really work or is just a pain in the ass, the possibility that you either are doing it not in the correct way or the materials/tools don´t fit well is quite big ;)

Thinner thread would hep, but don't beat yourself up too much. Your stitches look really good for a beginner. I have definitely seen much worse.

You might try braided thread. It will lay much flatter and looks thinner than the typical stranded type of the same thickness. The thread in the picture is from the 25 yard spools of Tandy stuff. I also hammer it down when I'm done to lay it nice and flat. I also used the 6 prong 3mm Pro Line stitching chisel form Tandy (88045-06) and it seems to work just great. After ordering a few spools of the braided thread I'm sold on it and have ordered 5 more colors of some .8mm.

BraidedThread

OP that all looks great man! Love the iphone case and wallet both!

iPhone case looks great. Is it molded or is it just the iPhone stuffed inside making it look like that?

I've tried finding better, thinner thread. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

You might try some Irish Linen thread from Royalwood.

For top of the line go for Lin Câblé from Ets Toulemonde Fil Au Chinois.

I've never tried "Tiger Thread" AKA Ritza but I've read good things.

Edited by thefanninator

Thanks for all the tips on thread guys!! Y'all have been a big help. I've never considered thread choice before and how different thicknesses would change the appearance etc. I'll start experimenting and lose the crappy stuff I've been using :)

Oh and the case isn't molded, (intentionally at least..) as I just stuffed the phone in there and left it overnight. It keeps that shape though, there is no phone in the case in that picture.