S R C

Leather Rope Bag.

hi guys, i am building a rope bag as an award in a roping coming up next month. i was wondering if any of you would shed some light on the build process,(preferred method )

i have a rope bag that i won in a roping awhile back and was planing on using it for a pattern. but if any of you have advise or ideas...Im all ears.. also my bag does not have dividers in it, if any one has a pattern i would be more then willing to pay you for it.

thanks,

hi guys, i am building a rope bag as an award in a roping coming up next month. i was wondering if any of you would shed some light on the build process,(preferred method )

i have a rope bag that i won in a roping awhile back and was planing on using it for a pattern. but if any of you have advise or ideas...I'm all ears.. also my bag does not have dividers in it, if any one has a pattern i would be more then willing to pay you for it.

thanks,

Follow this link. Do a search and you'll find more.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

i have searched this topic and i have read that thread. i was looking for something more technical.

i need more info on the gussets and how they are stitched.....this is the part that i am most worried about.

I use oil tan for the gussets. It has a little more body than chap leather and helps hold the shape. Soft enough you can open the zipper and sort through. I over lap it on the bottom about a third and sew across the ends. That double layer helps prevent sagging from weigh and keeps the shape better over the long haul. I just sew them to the front and back with a machine.

I use oil tan for the gussets. It has a little more body than chap leather and helps hold the shape. Soft enough you can open the zipper and sort through. I over lap it on the bottom about a third and sew across the ends. That double layer helps prevent sagging from weigh and keeps the shape better over the long haul. I just sew them to the front and back with a machine.

how do you feel about hair on hide for the Gusset? what thickness do you use in the oil tanned?

thanks for the advise Bruce, big fan of your work.

The oil tanned is 5 oz I like. Hairon gussets. Don't like them for one reason. The lay of the hair will be down on one side and up on the other. I have done them, but don't particularly like to. Piceing them looks off to me. Also, hair on is really soft so needs to be backed for some firmness, especially ate the bottom.

here is a progress pic on my first bag.

IMG_20140301_205435.jpg

post-43433-0-91389700-1394468378_thumb.j

a few more progress pics.

IMG_20140220_181337.jpg

IMG_20140301_021401.jpg

IMG_20140301_185643.jpg

post-43433-0-68128300-1394468628_thumb.j

post-43433-0-91153300-1394468637_thumb.j

post-43433-0-76079500-1394468644_thumb.j