Chris Hill

Expensive Vs Cheap Pricking Iron

With a Chinese worker, you can discuss the steel they use. You can use any kind of steel as you want as long as they can get it. For professional iron, they machine shape first to be very precise and then hand polished or what you called tweak. I tried to polish my formal iron but it took so so so much effort and I can't do it very good. Chinese now make low end and high end pricking iron from different workers and the quality and price are very different. You can get a pair of $10 or $100 or $300. At least ten Chinese workers are making very good irons and they are very well known among Chinese leather workers. I know there are also very good Japanese and Korean workers out there. I didn't see anyone in USA make these tools and I just want to share this info to more people to let them know there are choice other than Blanchard.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Do you have any links to the irons you posted in the picture & the other higher quality Chinese makers ? Very interested in these ones, not so much the shiny, polished one (that looks like it needs sharpened)

Thank you Ren for your help , i found his instagram site , does he hand make all the tools on his site ? if so they look very well made , i would be interested in 2 pricking irons to produce 9 stitch per inch or the equivalent if you could get a price please .

Thanks for sharing the info.

Do you have any links to the irons you posted in the picture & the other higher quality Chinese makers ? Very interested in these ones, not so much the shiny, polished one (that looks like it needs sharpened)

I'm Sorry I'm a bit confused. Almost all of them are polished.

10# 3.00mm http://tb.cn/OrqAIEy this is made by cmdachong on Instagram. The price is not correct.

中正线切割,法斩、欧斩、法式斩,订做各种间隔,超越岩田屋 http://tb.cn/mGTAIEy

正雄3.85mm欧式斜平六棱法斩内齿镜面抛光完胜岩田屋超越布兰查德 http://tb.cn/O8GAIEy

Above is some french pricking irons that has good price. If you want to see more expensive ones or diamond shaped ones, let me know.

Edited by REN

Thank you Ren for your help , i found his instagram site , does he hand make all the tools on his site ? if so they look very well made , i would be interested in 2 pricking irons to produce 9 stitch per inch or the equivalent if you could get a price please .

Because he is trying to make the pricking iron more precise and reducing the cost now he is using machine to shape the pricking iron out, but he hand polishes them by himself. He used to shape the pricking iron by hand but it took too much time and it could be not so precise between each teeth. The price would be around $100, but if you said 9 stitches per inch it would be 3mm between teeth (like a Blanchard 9tpi) and it took longer for him to finish and the price might be a bit higher.

Thanks grmnsplx so it's actually 9 teeth per inch i would have to order as REN has explained to give the Blanchard style stitch. REN if you could explain how i would go about getting a price for a 2 teeth iron and a 10 teeth iron please ?

Thanks grmnsplx so it's actually 9 teeth per inch i would have to order as REN has explained to give the Blanchard style stitch. REN if you could explain how i would go about getting a price for a 2 teeth iron and a 10 teeth iron please ?

I have to tell you first it's exactly 3mm between each teeth, this may be a slightly different from 9tpi because Chinese use cm not inch. Cmdachong told me he makes 2+7 teeth for 3mm and it's 90 shipped.

But you shouldn't worry about the difference. I used Blanchard 8 tpi and Chinese 3.85mm and I can't tell a difference. I make a mark with Blanchard and check the mark with 3.85mm, they match. But I feel I have to tell you this info, just to be responsible.

Thanks for explaining REN , i have another request there is a Korean web site that sell a metal corner template with different sized corners i'm not sure if i can post a link so i hope i've explained myself it's like a flat piece of steel with rounded corners of different sizes that you can cut round or mark the leather , have you seen these on your searches ? i should say i have contacted the Korean website on three separate occasions but haven't received a reply . Cheers Dave

Edited by Django57

Thanks for explaining REN , i have another request there is a Korean web site that sell a metal corner template with different sized corners i'm not sure if i can post a link so i hope i've explained myself it's like a flat piece of steel with rounded corners of different sizes that you can cut round or mark the leather , have you seen these on your searches ? i should say i have contacted the Korean website on three separate occasions but haven't received a reply . Cheers Dave

Yes, translucent plastic for 8 and metal one for 20, if you buy the pricking iron. Dimensions are in cm. I attached pictures.

post-60694-0-42184100-1427628840_thumb.j

post-60694-0-45423000-1427628854_thumb.j

That's brilliant i suspect you might be inundated with requests for these , what is the next step to purchase the items should i PM you ?