jessebeckham

O/u Take Down Case Or Leg Of Mutton Case

I am wanting to make either a hard takedown case or a leg of mutton case for my o/u. I have a couple questions for either case...

.1) for a hard case, leather bound.... Do any of you know where I could purchase or find a pre fabed wooden case to work the leather on?

2) to make the mutton leg bag, what would be a good material to use as a stiffener?

Thanks ahead of time all!

I am envisioning a full coverage Sheridan toolied case on either...

I've repaired a number of old fitted shotgun cases over the years. Many of the 1890's vintage rigid "leg of mutton" cases from Europe had a molded cardboard stiffener with a lining of felt or sheep's wool and an exterior of oiled bridal leather. If they were kept dry, they could last for a long time. Most of the repairs I made were to replace the rotted stitches or broken handles and straps. That said, many of the cases I saw also had pretty bad mildew and deteriorated from the inside out.

The fitted trunk type cases are much more durable (stiffened with a wood box) and lined with felt or smooth leather. They are obviously much more work, but are a much better case. I am not aware of a source of box liners for these cases, but there is (or was) a custom maker in (Missouri I believe) named Marvin Huey (not sure of the spelling) who made some outstanding cases for very high end shotguns. If you haven't yet got a copy, you really should get Al Stohlman's "Art of Making LeatherCases" vol.3. It has an excellent description on making a fitted pistol case that may give you some ideas.

I've repaired a number of old fitted shotgun cases over the years. Many of the 1890's vintage rigid "leg of mutton" cases from Europe had a molded cardboard stiffener with a lining of felt or sheep's wool and an exterior of oiled bridal leather. If they were kept dry, they could last for a long time. Most of the repairs I made were to replace the rotted stitches or broken handles and straps. That said, many of the cases I saw also had pretty bad mildew and deteriorated from the inside out.

The fitted trunk type cases are much more durable (stiffened with a wood box) and lined with felt or smooth leather. They are obviously much more work, but are a much better case. I am not aware of a source of box liners for these cases, but there is (or was) a custom maker in (Missouri I believe) named Marvin Huey (not sure of the spelling) who made some outstanding cases for very high end shotguns. If you haven't yet got a copy, you really should get Al Stohlman's "Art of Making LeatherCases" vol.3. It has an excellent description on making a fitted pistol case that may give you some ideas.

I do have Stohlmans books, I'm fairly confident in the leather making part, I was just hoping there would be a premade case to work with, the base skeleton at least.

I haven't seen any skeletons, but I have bought a few originals at gun shows. Got them for good prices due to needing the stitching replaced. You might carve one out of a high density Styrofoam to form over.