Hello!

I have a few questions about vegetable tanned goatskins- hopefully someone (or millions of you) might be able to answer.

I have never handled vegetable tanned goatskins- is it as durable as cowhide?

I'd like to it for a project that will require wet-forming- will it work the same as cowhide in this sense? Or will it shrink?

I'm specifically wanting to make a "bush hat", similar to a cowboy hat but simpler.

Thanks in advance!

• Goatskin is more durable than cowhide. It is softer and more supple because of the lanolin in the leather. This lightweight hide is flexible, so you typically do not have to break in goatskin products. It is more durable than cowhide and is water-resistant. Goatskin is warm, but breathable, so it is comfortable to wear. Goatskin has a pebble-like grain, so the grain has distinctive ridges. Goatskin leather is produced into straight-grained leather that is rolled in the same direction while it is drying, and crushed goatskin is rolled and ironed to flatten the ridges. Kidskin is from young goats, and is very soft. I hope this helps answer your questions. :>)

Where does a guy buy Veg Tanned Goat Skin?

I was going to ask this very same question, but found this in my searching so why ask the same BUT.  I am thinking about using it in wallet making and maybe in tote bags and things like that.  So from what I read above it should work very well if not better in some cases for the items I mentioned, but what about availability and cost.  I called Maverick and they don't have much of it and of all places I thought I would try Tandy and surprisingly they didn't have any and didn't seem to have much info on the uses that I want it for, but from reading the above, again it looks like it would fit the bill real well.  Let me know what y'all think.

I hope I made some sense to what I was asking, I just had a total knee replacement done and between the pain and the drugs I am in Lala land.

I fell like I have seen it in one of the Tandy flyers one time.  If the above is true, it sounds like a great product.  The only goat I have ever used was chrome tanned.  I made a few nice business card holders but didn't like the way it wrinkled before getting broken in by regular use. So I would like to know more also about veg tanned goat if anyone has used it.

being that this an old thread and time between the old and new posting maybe more will chime in as to use.  I did do a google for the leather it seems a lot of it comes in from Italy and used for high end stuff and the leather can be bought from several different importers at a very reasonable price.  I am go to be using some that I bought at hobby lobby for a very low cost with the 40% off coupon.  So hopefully I will know soon enough if I want to buy more, and if it as tough as it the others claim it to be it  will work out great.

You have my interest up. I lined a holster with it once and liked it but haven't been able to find more.

Thanks electrathon !

Thanks for the info and was certain that others would chime in on it's tenacity and use!

I use a nat veg tanned goat, fattened, for halters, lining and wallet interior. Soft strong leather hide.

Heres a pic of the halter (its the pink lining, a bit difficult to dye beacause of the fat)

100_7942.JPG

nice looking item!  Do you dip when you dye the leather?

Thanks

Thank you :)

No, I usually dont dip dye, I use different paintbrushes for watercolor etc. Larger ones for larger projects.

the bag in my profile pic is made out of goat skin - with cow suede lining.. i use goat hide for almost anything.. - wallets, organizers (holds a Phone, passport, cash, pen and cards and other stuff).. this is quiet good leather - you dont need a spliter for it...

Not sure if it was from the tanning process that causes it, but I'm observing some scent from goat hides. - they cant seem to get rid of it.

10 hours ago, AdamGadut said:

Not sure if it was from the tanning process that causes it, but I'm observing some scent from goat hides. - they cant seem to get rid of it.

Where did you get the hides from?  Goat is the staple in the bookbinding industry.  I can't imagine foul smell being accepted ever on a high end hand bound book.  I personally have never ran into the issue.

Certainly J Hewit & Sons (bookbinding leather suppliers), based in Scotland, get their goatskins from various countries, including Africa, and India.   Last time I was in, they showed me a lovely goat's skin from Scandinavia, I believe.    Never had any problems with funny smells from the hides.

i love visiting their place, so much leather, so little time............

12 hours ago, electrathon said:

Where did you get the hides from?  Goat is the staple in the bookbinding industry.  I can't imagine foul smell being accepted ever on a high end hand bound book.  I personally have never ran into the issue.

must be from poor tanning process, its from a shop in my country. not entirely foul though, they just build up when i have a lot of goat skins around. - like 3-5 hides in the same spot

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Certainly J Hewit & Sons (bookbinding leather suppliers), based in Scotland, get their goatskins from various countries, including Africa, and India.   Last time I was in, they showed me a lovely goat's skin from Scandinavia, I believe.    Never had any problems with funny smells from the hides.

i love visiting their place, so much leather, so little time............

I know this is an old thread but it was coming across the Hewit website that got me searching for goat leather uses and I ended up here. Have you used their leather for items like wallets? Have any recommendations on any of the different goat leathers they advertise?

Edited by Dunluce
spelling

They have quite a range of goat skins, so best to have a chat with them.   I’ve made a few purses and wallets, but living so close to their warehouse, I just pop in and buy a carrier bag of scraps every blue moon or two.     You can also sign up to their blog/magazine, called Skin Deep, and read the full back catalogue.   Lots of handy info in there.

I have some 1mm and thinner, goatskin scraps that are so soft to touch, but stiff enough for wallets, that you just want to keep touching them.B)