Hi,

First of all I should say that I'm not a leather worker, and I've never worked with leather or anything similar. But this seems like a good place that may be able to answer my questions.

I work in an office above a cobbler / key cutter in the UK.

2 or 3 times per day our office if filled with a very strong chemical / glue type smell. Which appears to be coming up through the floor boards. The last few works days it's been constant all day, and makes me very queasy. Our guess is it's the leather glue.

We've written to the chains head office but they haven't replied. If knowing which UK chain it is helps I'll let you know.

So my questions are, is this stuff safe to breathe in? Is the queasy feeling just because I don't like the smell, or is it something more dangerous? And also will I turn into one of these newspaper stories in 20 years time dying from lung disease / cancer?

I know I haven't given much information to go on, and I may well be over paranoid, but thought you guys might have some insight.

Thanks,

My rule of thumb is that if my body doesn't like it, then it probably isn't good for it.

Have you spoken to the cobbler and asked about the smell? Certainly the building owner might be someone to contact?

It is likely contact cement. It does have a strong solvent off gas. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, but it is likely good to avoid it as much as you can.

My thinking is to talk to the cobbler and see if there is another product that he could substitute in place of the glue (if it is, in fact, the glue) that may be more user-friendly to second-hand smellers!!! He or you could put in a system that purges the air ever-so-often. But, if the case is such as the cobbler was there first (and they are usually old-timers) you may think about finding a new place to locate your business. JMHO Semper-fi Mike

Or you could contact your local Environmental Health Department and get them to have him mitigate the fumes.

That's what I'd do. I mean, you can go talk to him if you want, but when he ends up telling you he's not going to do anything to stop it, call your local Environmental Health Department.

If I knew specifically where you were, I would even look up the contact info for you...but I am sure you'll be able to find it for your area.