Anchored Threads

Help With Leather Finishing

I am new to the game but love it so far! Something about taking a side of leather and turning it into something for everyday functions is awesome!

My question is needing some input on the process of finishing my leather. Especially for natural Veg Tan. On the wallet show I just used a couple coats of mink oil. I ordered some Obanaufs. I like the look that the mink oil gave (a nice Carmel tone) but it is already getting dark spots. Almost black. I know over time it will darken but not this early. Do I need to put a top coat of some sort on it. Any ideas?

Might be nonsense - but I'd have thought that because the oil won't seal the leather it'll pick up dirt as soon as it's exposed to it. Assuming the wallet's been in your pocket, it's probably going to have had dirt rubbed into it (speeding up the rate of staining).

Might be nonsense - but I'd have thought that because the oil won't seal the leather it'll pick up dirt as soon as it's exposed to it. Assuming the wallet's been in your pocket, it's probably going to have had dirt rubbed into it (speeding up the rate of staining).

That's what I would guess too. I'm a big fan of Resolene followed by something waxy (Carnauba creme or Obenaufs or something like that). I have had good luck with the advice you get from a lot of folks here who say to dilute the Resolene 50/50 with water, brush on a light coat and keep doing the brushing motion to remove any bubbles or even it out, let it dry (I actually keep lightly brushing until it is almost dry), and do another coat or two.

I'm still a newbie myself but that has worked for everything I've done and I like the look I get from the Resolene. Some people, however, don't like the shiny look and prefer to use other things that don't give you the gloss but I don't know anything about those other options. Others will mention that you can get the same thing as Resolene with diluted Mop-n-Glo but I haven't tried that yet.

Dave

Try some Resolene and Tan Kote and see which you prefer.