I have a project that requires a seam with no stitching. I've always had less than satisfactory results when using glue in the past, however this seam will have to rely on it 100% It's 1/8" thick leather wrapped around a roughly 1 1/4" dowel and the glue surface is a scarf joint with a roughly 9/16" contact patch. Ideally I would like recommendations for a product available from Tandy as I have one close to me but if their products wont work I am willing to look elsewhere.

Shaun.

Barge cement will work, and is available at Tandy. Just make sure to use it properly. Coat both surfaces, let dry for a bit, and then press together. Try a practice piece first, of course.

If you want PVC, try this: http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=18847

Produces a VERY strong bond.

Edited by Matt T

I have tried a lot of adhesives on various projects. Have to agree with Matt T, Barge the best.

I also recommend Barge. I believe it's available in tubes as well.

Cya!

Bob

I've used Shoe Goo but don't think it's strong enough for anything like that.

Hope it's OK to necro this thread as I suspect the above information isn't outdated.

I've seen reports that the newer toluene-free Barge isn't nearly as good as the old one.

I'm just looking to reglue unidentified rubber/plastic soles to leather uppers. Just two pairs of relatively cheap shoes so I don't need much and price is a factor.

I am also based in the UK.

Thanks for your help.

I use weld wood. It's a whole lot cheaper than all that high $ stuff & holds durn good.

I also use DAP weldwood. Works really nicely.

I was using Weldwood in the red can till my wife said it stinks too much. Switched to the green can (non-flammable formula) and it holds well. Not as good as the red can but better than everything else I've bought.

I have been using the weldwood green lable non flammable for 4 years. It works great for me and has very low odor.

Find out what local shoe repair guys use for gluing soles onto shoes and get some.

Cya!

Bob

I have not used Renia, how ever Electrathon a member on these forums has. You might PM him and ask for his input. See his post #6 at this link http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=50905&hl=%2Brenia+%2Bglue#entry329444