Ok, so, just a few months ago, November of 2013 to be exact, I bought a brand new, Tippmann Boss sewing machine.

Straight out of the box, using a size 200 Needle, with 277 thread, it works perfectly.

I purchased the flatbed accessory, the other presser feet, and size 160 needles and 138 thread just a couple weeks ago.

Using the new size 160 needle and 138 thread, it no longer makes stitches.

I checked the needle alignment - the scarf spot is going where it is supposed to go. I've tried turning it a few degrees either direction, several times. The thread tensions are set up according to instructions.

It misses every single stitch.

So, I live in central time zone, and I call customer service. They all leave at 3pm my time. I have a full time day job. Kinda tough to talk to someone.... So I email them... 3 days later, I get the response "One thing we can try is taking some pressure off of the take up arm spring.There is a spring in the back of your machine that lifts your take up arm up you can bend this spring out and take some pressure off of it." .... literally, that's it.

So, it took 3 days to tell me that I need to bend a spring to fix my problem? That seems like terrible customer service. Since when did we start bending things and breaking precision equipment in order to fix it?

At any rate, I tried this method. Didn't fix it.

I took the needle plate off, and watched the needle enter the shuttle bay. The little finger that catches the loop of thread on the needle, misses it. It's as if the shuttle doesn't go close enough to the needle.

Thoughts?

1. Go back to the original needle you had in the machine, . . . it's a bit big, . . . but you want to find out if it is the needle that is causing the problem.

2. Needle alignment can be a pain, . . . pain, . . . did I say, pain? I use a very small hand sewing needle that you would use doing button holes in a silk shirt or something like that. Once I have my Boss needle where I think it should go, . . . I put the tip of my little needle in the eye of the Boss needle, . . . and use the little needle to square the Boss needle up where it needs to be.

I cannot tell you why, . . . but sometimes the needle can be off really bad, . . . it sews. The next time the needle is practically perfect, . . . wouldn't make a stitch if the angels were watching.

Also, make sure your needle has the thread trough on the left side.

May God bless,

Dwight

boss needle.jpg

post-6728-0-18106900-1392818437_thumb.jp

I did that same exact thing. I used another tiny needle to square up my boss needle.

I went back to the original needle and thread, and it sews perfectly. I've switched back and forth 3-4 times now.

Honestly, . . . if it sews with one, . . . doesn't with the other, . . . I've got to think it is the needle. Check the straightness (the slightest bend will not allow it to be in the right place), . . . check the length, . . . see if the eyes of both needles line up at the same length from the top of the needles, . . .

Beyond that, . . . I cannot be much help as the smallest thread I ever use is 277, . . . and if they made 500 and I could get it, . . . I'd try it.

I do concealed carry belts, holsters, etc, . . . and for the most part use only 346, . . . with an occasional 400.

I buy my thread at Tandy, . . . it is heavily waxed, . . . every now and then have to "de-wax" the Boss, . . . but that is the worst.

AND, . . . is your thread waxed??? I bought some non waxed thread some time back, . . . and I would have put it in the stove, . . . all $50 worth if the supplier wouldn't have given me a refund. My Boss will stitch, . . . but it just ain't the same if the thread is unwaxed. Try reeling off a 25 foot piece and run it back and forth a couple times through a cake of parrafin or beeswax.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The other thing you may try, . . . on your lunch time, . . . call Tippmann, . . . tell them you want to talk to Ben, . . . be a bit pushy, . . . don't take the first "NO" for an answer. They're pretty good folks from my experience, . . . and if anyone in the organization can fix your problem, . . . Ben is the man. He's personally bailed me out twice, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Yeah, I'll give them a call at lunch. That's the only time I think I am going to get the chance to do so.

I wanted to go with smaller thread for wallets. I was thinking the thinner thread might allow for a less bulky wallet design... but I may just end up not being able to use smaller stuff.

I am thinking you might have the wrong needle

I'm using the needles that I purchase from Tippmann, directly on their website. They are marked with the '160' on the shaft.

Did you place the scarf next to the hook with the long slot to the left? It sounds as though the timing is out of sync.

The Tippmann does not like skinny material and small thread. It works best with 10 oz or better

Edited by Geneva

Did you place the scarf next to the hook with the long slot to the left? It sounds as though the timing is out of sync

Yes. I used a tiny needle, pushing it through the boss needle, in order to align it properly. I've also tried twisting it slightly both forward and backwards. When I took the needle plate off, it looks like the shuttle just doesn't come close enough to the needle. The timing is correct. It passes the needle at the correct time... it's just not close enough.

Is something keeping the thread tight and preventing a loop from forming?

CD in Oklahoma

Tippmann is saying that the take up arm is too tight, and pulling the thread up too snugly, which is why they want me to weaken the spring. It works if I use my hand to hold the arm down... so their theory makes sense, but they should send me a different spring, not have me tear one up.