Cdetterer

Need Advice/ Opinions On Mecate

I was just wondering what some of your guys thoughts were, I have seen guys braid mecates with paracord that was gutted and non-gutted, and with a core and without a core when they didn't gut the paracord. I have also see them made with 550 and 650 paracord, does one work better then the other?

So what are your guys opinion, inputs and feedbacks. What looks more attractive?

Thank you everybody for you thoughts

Paracord is great stuff, but I like my mecates made from twisted mane hair. I think gutted/non-gutted is going to come down to what you like better. The core no core somewhat the same deal although a core would help if you were trying to do a 5/8" or bigger.

Thats just it, I have never made on before and just kinda wanted to see what people thought looks good and works good

Also what would be some good color combos do you guys think, I got to looking and possibilities are about endless?

How do you train a horse to move away from the irritation, if the para cord is not prickly like the horse hair mecates?

I've braided quite a few sets out of para cord. 550 with core in each strand and a core in the braid, I like that feel for a snaffle bit out fit.

I have seen guys that have them and I have always wanted one. How big of a core did you use? Did you go 8 or 12 strand?

I have thought about a dark brown with tan and a little bit of turquoise, would that look alright?

I use a 3/16 poly or nylon rope for my cores. that gives me a 9/16 ish 12 strand mecate, which is what I like. If you want thicker use 1/4 for core, that will give about a 5/8 finished diameter. You can also use 1 or two strands of para cord as the core for the same results. I only go 8 strand if the customer has small hands and wants a 1/2" mecate. If you use to big of core in the 8 strand it feels to mushy to me and you can see the core.

As far as colors go, what you said would look good to me, but colors are like a room full of girls, which one is the prettiest?

Edited by barbiesdude

I have an 8strand square one with the guts still in it on my snaffle rig it has a nice weight and lots of life.... Nothing like a good mane hair rope but im not sure mane hair would do well here at the feedlot

I have an 8strand square one with the guts still in it on my snaffle rig it has a nice weight and lots of life.... Nothing like a good mane hair rope but im not sure mane hair would do well here at the feedlot

Yep, Know what you mean. We get some humidity and wetness hear in Michigan so it's a must to take your hair rope of your hackamores every time you ride or it is kink city, and if they get wet you can just about stand'em up in a corner if it's a good tight rope.

Anymore the mane hair only gets broke out when I leave the feedlot to work the outside cattle... Can't abandon it altogether lol