I am going to be starting off on leatherworking with dog collars as a basic start, but I've no clue where to get the tools and leather, how much it will be, and even what kind of leather would be best for various types of collars... Someday, I am aiming for being able to make all sorts of leatherworks, even jackets, vests, etc.

I could go into a lot more detail of what I'm wanting to do but I have to get my butt to bed because I have work in 8 hours.

All I need is some great suppliers of both the tools I will need to start and the best leather for beginner collars, as well as tips, advice, and even walkthroughs from the experienced leatherworkers around.

[i'm fairly rookie too, but this is what I've gathered over several months.] The main store chain that always comes up is Tandy Leather Factory. (You can go to http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/locations/storesearch.aspx to see if there's one near you.) That's handy because you can go in and see the tools and the leather before you buy them, choose what you want yourself, talk to people live, all the perks of a retail store.

Besides that, it's pretty much a matter of luck whether you have something else local. I think Tandy is the only one in my entire state. As far as internet ordering goes, a lot of people here use Springfield Leather. They often got better prices than Tandy, while the question of who has better quality has sparked many a rant one way or another on this forum. Once you really get the hang of things, there are high end suppliers all over the internet with 'hole in the wall' type websites.

There's some supplier info. I haven't touched a dog collar in ten years, and that one wasn't even leather, so I'll leave that part to other folks [and the search bar] to answer.

Welcome, Your best bet is to start out using the search box in the upper right corner. Search Dog collars and you will find many examples and people usually say what type of leather they used width etc. In most cases you will want to use Veg tanned leather espescialy if you will be tooling or stamping designs. DO a search for begining tools or storting tools. You will find varing lists of toos. Since you want to start out with dog collars, a basic collar is nothing more then a strap with hardware on it. So you will need something to cut leather a utility type razor knife or box cutter will work just fine, an edge beveler to bevel the edges of the collar, a piece of hardwood with a groove in it for burnishing the edges, a hole punch, snap setter, rivet setter something to pound with. As you get experienced you will find there are different types of Dog collars and what works for small dogs will not work for bigger dogs etc. Again researching google and using the search bar in these forum is the best way to get started. If you are into pinterest do a search on pinterest for dog caollar patterns.

As to suppliers I think you are a bout 150 miles from Loisville, there is a Tandy in louisville also Thouroughblood Leather is in Louisville. Cliff Fendely of Fendely Knives in La Grange Ky (he is a holster maker as well) http://www.fendleykn...ives.com/ uses Thouroughbloodd leather and says it is good leather and he can go in and pick out what he wants. For on line suppliers check the banners at the top of these pages. Do a little research then come back with more specific question.

Here is a basic tutorial on making a leather dog collar. There are also youtube video on How to make a leather dog collar. Look under the Other specialty heading on these forums and you will find collars. THere is a thread going right now I think it is Help cutomers driving me out of business where some methods are shown for properly measuring for dog collars. Attached is a simple template for a dog collar.

Good luck and have fun.

dog_collar_template.pdf

dog_collar_template.pdf

Edited by camano ridge

I doubt many people will be willing to spend time compiling a list of beginner tasks for you, Causten, unless you're serious about the craft. If you have a Tandy store nearby, those folks get paid to sell you (and show you how to use) beginner kits and tools, if you're looking for the fastest start possible. But like most things in life, good things come to those who wait.

If you're serious about leatherwork as a hobby, you've already found some of the best resources you have available. Be sure to spend a lot of time reading these forums. You can also watch youtube videos to study the craft. Order some physical books. There are many classic books out there, and many new books as well.

The quality of leather product you produce correlates to the quantity of time you put into the craft (including research time.) Invest time wisely and you will be rewarded. Welcome to it, friend.