JoeSnuffie

Step By Step Diy Edge Beveler

I start by cutting the blade of a kitchen knife off, leaving about 1 inch.

Beveler HowTo 01

I use a heavy duty, reinforced cutoff wheel with my Dremel.

Beveler HowTo 02

After the blade it cut, I use my belt sander, with a 120 grit belt. I sand it down until it's about the width I want.

Beveler HowTo 03

Then I round off the taper because it looks nice. Note the bowl of water - I don't let the blade heat up too much by dipping it every few seconds.

Beveler HowTo 04

Once I'm happy with the taper, I place the blade on a 2x4 and hammer it to give it a slight bend. I hammer on the side I was cutting on because it has a couple marks where I slipped. I'm going to hit this side with the belt sander anyway.

Beveler HowTo 05

Taper the outside edge of the curve but not to a sharp chisel point - you'll just end up stabbing your fingers.

Beveler HowTo 06

This is the curve with the taper. I'm not sure if there is an ideal curve, but this seems perfect to me.

Beveler HowTo 07

I use 800 grit wet/dry paper to polish out the rough marks and make sure the tip is rounded and stab resistant.

Beveler HowTo 08

I replace the thicker reinforced cutoff wheel with a thin cutoff wheel for more precise grinding of the cutting groove.

Beveler HowTo 09

I hold the knife to the table and rotate the cutoff wheel onto the blade. This gives me pretty good control. I run the Dremel on the lowest speed and take my time. The total groove length is 1/4' from the tip while the cutting edge is set back 1/8" from the tip. Carefully work the cutoff wheel from side to side to make a wider cutting groove.

Beveler HowTo 10

Here are two sizes of bevelers. The cut like butter and are infinitely better than the bevelers I ordered from Tandy. They're a lot cheaper, too.

Beveler HowTo 12

Thanks for posting this, Joe. I'll have to try this, they look great. Well done.

Charlie

Hmmmm, I was thinking I have some old screwdrivers in the garage.

When i saw you first post about this the other day I was pondering the durability of the cutting edge. After I though about it I realized that the stainless in the kitchen knife was likely far more durable than the Tandy tool edge. This is a good idea.

Hmm.. Just had a go at this. Would be rude not to use some of the cutlery we've just replaced :D

Anyway, I used a fork as the neck of it seemed the ideal angle, based on what my existing beveller looks like.

It cuts :notworthy:

I used more or less the same method, but I don't own a belt sander, so used a Dremel with assorted cutting and grinding tools.

It needs a bit more work, maybe a wider 'V' groove, but i'm just over the moon that I managed to make a tool that actually works!

Thanks for the thread ;)

Glad it was useful. I thought about using the forks or spoons but with 3 kids, we seem to lose a lot more of them so when we buy more silverware we have way too many knives. Also, at least with our knives, the blades are pretty thick at the base and give a much thicker tool end than the forks or spoons would.

Thanks for sharing this idea. I think my is going to wonder where all the flatware went.

Great idea and great use of what's on hand.

Thanks so much for the post. What a brilliant idea. I've been in need of a #1 edge beveler for a long long time and my local Tandy stockist has not been forthcoming. So now I have a solution! I think I will actually try using a screwdriver for this.

Again. Brilliant Post