I need information on where to get a needle for lacing. I have some 1/8" Kangaroo lace an, I'm trying to lace a project an , nothing is working. I have those needles you are suppose to screw the lace in, their not working. I have used those split needles in the past an I know there re junk. What kind of needle works best for you an where can I get one ?

Thank you

Dan :cowboy:

The "junk" needles, skive and point the lace, tap lightly with a hammer to set the teeth and just figure on using them only a few times. I guess there is a reason they come by the dozen.

I would agree with oltoot. Just like he says and figure that if you get more than a couple uses out of one of the needles, you are doing good.

Buy the needles that have one hole and one pin. They are cheap and hold really well. I can put one on and pull to try removing the lace from the needle, the lace usually breaks first.

I use the split needles also the way oltoot suggests (except I use pliers instead of a hammer to press the teeth in). I find they can last a decent amount of time if you look after them a bit. I try not to split them any wider than I have to to get the lace in. I also make sure when I'm pulling lace through that I pull on the leather as soon as I can after the needle goes through. I can get quite a few projects out pf pne but they certainly don't last forever though.

The needles that Elecrathon mentioned sound interesting. I've never seen those but they sound like they'd be worth a try.

Pete

I've always used the two prong needles, I've tried the screw ons and the ones with the hole and one prong. The screw on ones didn't work for me at all, the one prong with hole were okay but I like the two prong better. The do wear out so I try not to open them any farther than necessary as said, use small needle nose pliers as was said, and I have over 200 of them in a needle box, so I use them till they don't close right or get bent and throw them away. I normally can use a needle for several projects before it goes bad, but it will go bad eventually.

Chief

The main issue I have with the round needles is that you have to have big holes to be able to get the needles through. Personally, I think it looks like Cub Scout work when I can see the hole where the lace goes through.

I had a friend that swore by round needles. I challenged him to lace through holes that I punched while I did the same. Both of us did it, he fought it all the way. He now usually uses the flat one pin/one hole needles.

My motto: Round holes and needles are for round lace. Flat holes/needles are for flat lace. It is easy to remember. All you have to do is look at the lace you are using and you will know the needle or punch to use.

I should also say that I lace very "full" when I lace. I use 3/32 holes and 1/8 lace. Usually use two laces at the same time to cover the leather edge. I punch my holes no farther than 1/8" from the leather edge and slant them some. Depending on my mood I often use a pricking iron to punch/space them, same as if I was sewing. This makes a nice laced edge with no "spider legs" on the edges.

Pic is a recently finished wallet.

Aaron

Edit to add: I just looked at the picture on the monitor. in life the wallet and the lace brown color and almost identical. Someplace in the camera, to the computer tweaked it.

wallet.jpg

post-2349-0-52200500-1393359632_thumb.jp

Edited by electrathon

I also use the two prong needles, however, I "pre-punch" the holes with a sharp scratch awl. this does two things: 1. It creates a perfect hole that won't rip as quickly out of the leather. 2. It prevents you from breaking the prongs on the needles which is very easy to do.

Thank you all for your advice

Dan :cowboy: