Mudruck

Barry King Swivel Knife Blades...thick Or Thin?

Looking to pick up a BK swivel knife in the next little bit and wondering about the blades that he offers. Mainly looking at getting a 3/8" size blade in a knife in a 1/2" or 9/16" barrel. How do the thick and thin blades compare in size to the standard hollow ground tandy blades? I mostly do Sheridan and other carving such as letters and things. Not a whole lot of super fine detail work or anything like that at this point.

What is your opinion on what blade may be the best for me?

I was once given advice to start with the larger blades and become proficient with them, and then work into using the thinner, smaller blades and angled blades. The reasoning was that by learning to use the larger blade well you will develop good techniques. The other blades (I think he was mainly speaking about angled blades) could let you develop poor technique and cover it up because of the design of the blade.

I have a BK knife with the 3/8 thick blade and I think it's comparable to the Tandy knife.

Bob

I like Barrys thick blade for decorative cuts, but I would get the thin as it is a little more versatile. His thin blade is about the same thickness as the tandy, maybe a little thinner. YMMV.

Chuck

Are BK knives adjustable?

Yes they have a grub screw at both ends

I'm very pleased with mine

thin angled 1/4"

thick straght 3/8"

thick straight 1/2"

the thick 1/2" is great for long curves etc

Just placed an order for a 9/16ths sized knife, as I like the knife to be a bit larger in the fingers, with the thin 3/8" blade. :dance: Can't wait to get it and make some cuts!

Edited by Mudruck

I just received my BK and it made a world of difference

By the USPS tracking, mine should be waiting for me in the mailbox when I get home. :dance:

Im thinking of ordering a BK as my first knife , Not sure about sizes yet.

I went with the 9/16ths size for a little larger fit and the thin blade. I absolutely love it.