Horsecccrazy975

Help With Spots!

I am wanting to make a bronc halter with spots on it but I am having a few problems.

1. I can't sew so unless I learn to hand sew so I'm not sure if that is a problem or not.
  2. I don't how they work lol

If anyone knows how they work and how I can put them on my halter without them hurting my horse, please help!

thanks in advance!

Thanks for the link! I totally forgot to check YouTube! Do you think it would be okay to have those next to a horse face though?

Thanks for the link! I totally forgot to check YouTube! Do you think it would be okay to have those next to a horse face though?

I don't have any horses but as long as the back is smooth, and the sharp bits are bent under and not touching the horse, I don't think the horse will mind. I wear cuffs I've made with flattened rivet backs and I don't feel them. My concern would be corrosion because it's exposed to the horse's sweat. Unless you use stainless, I would expect a lot of rust and shortened life without a lining to cover them.

I buy all my spots from Standard Rivet Company found here: http://www.standardrivet.com/spots/round-spots/1-round-head-spot.php They have stainless and nickle plated brass along with the best tools for setting the spots. I use from 1/8" up to 3/8" and have their tools to set them. Trust me when I say setting round spots without a tool will make you quit leatherwork. :thumbsup:

No if set good they will not hurt the horse. If concerned apply a liner

I make bronc halters with spots and I usually line the halter with fleece. They are also making domed rivets now...look like spots but a smooth back.

No: They put on the spots then, sew on a liner

Okay so I just got my spots and hand setter ( the one with the two blades) and it's really hard to get the blades through the leather! Is there any way to make it a little bit easier than pounding away?

Ok, the two blade punch is for punching slots for the blades of the spot to go through then you still need to bend or set the tines of the spot. If that two blade punch is like most of the Tandy stuff it probably needs to be sharpened. There is a setter I use see picture. you place the block under the leather with the appropriate dish under where you will put the spot then place the spot in the appropriate sized spot setter place where you want the spot and hit the setter. It will push the spot down through the leather as the tines of the spot hit the dish under the leather they will bend and you spot will be set. There are presses that you can buy , however you will spend close to a hundred dollars or more by the time you buy the press and apropriate dies.

spot setter.png

post-15001-0-68525200-1394507989_thumb.p

Edited by camano ridge

Okay so I just got my spots and hand setter ( the one with the two blades) and it's really hard to get the blades through the leather! Is there any way to make it a little bit easier than pounding away?

If you only have a few, . . . or have some extra time on your hands, . . . and / or are VERY picky about your spots: take one, . . . slide it into your spot setter handle, . . . then pull up on the sleeve so that just the points end sticks out, . . . take a piece of masking tape, . . . tape the sleeve in place.

Then use the spot setter as the tool to mark where you need the holes, by pressing down with it on your leather. Take a narrow awl, . . . make your holes. Push your spots through with your thumb, . . . turn the piece over, . . . put the spot in the proper dome in the tool that fits it, . . . push the spot legs over to the center of each spot with a flat blade screwdriver, . . . after all spots are set, . . . turn the piece back over, . . . lay it on a hard surface, . . . use the spot setting tool to then complete the job by tapping them until they are set down in the leather a bit.

I set all of mine this way for a long time, . . . then went to the poundo board method, . . . do most of them that way now, . . . but for very special projects, . . . still come back to this.

May God bless,

Dwight

If your ever having trouble bending the pins on the spots when setting with the setter handle (I destroyed several spots and almost a belt). Get the spot position exactly where it needs to be with the pins stuck just enough to hold still in the leather. Then use the setter handle by holding onto the sleeve only. Haven't bent the pins on a spot since.

Probably not the best way to do it but it has saved me many spots and just as many headaches.