Shaunread

Belt Shoulders?

Hi there,

I need a little advice. I was going to make an order to Le prevo for some new veg tan and something caught my eye, on the hides page (http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm) under "Dyed Veg-Tan" are Belt Shoulders. Probably a very simple and stupid question for me to ask, but does anybody know what they are? It's cheaper than normal undyed 3-3.5mm veg tan shoulders but I cant seem to get why its cheaper even though its dyed and the same thicknesses. Any ideas from your point of view?

One further question how different is matt veg-tan compared to 'normal' veg-tan leather? Is it literally just the aesthetics or is there something else to it? Thought it'd be better to ask experienced people than to buy it and possibly waste my money!

Thanks! :)

Give Le Prevo a ring and ask about the belt shoulders; I've always found them really helpful. They sometimes do 'belt splits' which are often cheaper.

There are of course different tannages. Could be the belt shoulders are tanned quickly in higher strength solution, giving a stiffer and slightly lower quality leather? Could be a number of things.

Been doing some research on how the hides are cut. Never heard of belt shoulders. Inventive advertising?

TrkmWNz.jpg

Good belts (big subject) are usually made from the backs of the hide. This could include the shoulder. The shoulder alone does not produce constant thickness as it travels across the back rather than running down the back.

Having said that, I am not a connoisseur of leather. I always buy veg tan double shoulders and my belts are pretty decent.

As you can see, there are only so many names you can give to a cut and the graph is fairly universal.

Yep, inventive advertising. They're shoulders that are sold as 'suitable for belts' or 'a staple of the belt trade'. Often described as inexpensive and often as splits.

Gary

I use leprevo s belt shoulders and its a nice bit of leather very helpfull staff at leprevo s and are allways willing to answer any questions on there goods

Atb davie