rawcustom

My Take On A Stitching Pony

I'm about to go down the road of making my own sewing awl, and I got a little stir crazy waiting for my pin vise to show up. I figured I should divert my attention into a stitching pony since it's likely I'm going to need one. I built it this evening after work, sort of in a mad dash kind of way. Too many of my projects require exacting detail that can't be rushed that sometimes it's fun just to see how fast and how much work I can lay down in a couple hours.

Anyway tried some ideas I had on this and I wouldn't be surprised if I rebuild this project at a later point using some of my notes from the first go round. Of course I have to use it enough to assess function before I go back to the drawing board. Some different approaches on this, the big one being a tension mechanism that is both easy and entirely contained in the middle to avoid getting caught up with any thread and workflow happening on the outside. Also I wanted something nice looking without requiring my effort of sanding and staining so I used some flooring I got from HD.

post-42611-0-78720800-1393997013_thumb.j

post-42611-0-50280500-1393997016_thumb.j

post-42611-0-36909800-1393997019_thumb.j

It looks good. Hope it works out well for your type of leather work.

Rough and ready!

The quick release clamp is a great idea, cam clamps are good too but this i like better.

I really need to steam bend myself up a traditional clamp someday, now that'd be a fun project!