Mark Moss

How Do You Sew A Short Edge Next To Raised Surface?

Hello

I am very inexperienced with using a sewing machine and have a question that hope someone here can help me with. I am trying to figure out a way to sew the edges of a wet molded leather pouch that has a very short edge next to a raised area, the best example I can think of would be like trying to sew the outer edge of a shoe sole. The edge is so short that the walking foot is not able to touch it when the needle is in the correct position. I realize in the future I can make the edges lager then cut them back after I sew them without any of the issues I have now, but I have several pouches I made when I only hand stitched that I wanted to use the machine on (if possible). So the questions is how do you sew a short edge that is next to a raised surface like a shoe sole? I am using a cobra 4 machine and probably have an attachment for it that would fix the issue for me, I am just too new and inexperienced to figure it out.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

image.jpg

post-49046-0-69303400-1394065508_thumb.j

I dont machine sew myself but I have seen it done in videos before. The sewing machine foot (I think thats what its called) on their machine was not rectangular but it was placed adjacent to the needle and rolled. It might be called a rolling foot. But specifically in leather shoe making a specialized machine is used only for that particular stitch you are referring to.

If you have a right toe foot you may be able to cut a piece of leather and hold it tight to the outside so the foot will have something to set on and be able to sew them. Really don't know if it will work because i haven't tried it before.

I M H O....you know what you should have done...But now....put your Narrow feet on the machine and start sewing. You will have to somewhat Flatten your moldered front as you are sewing. Then after you have it sewn , Re mould the project and use your bone folder to smooth the feet markes out.

If you start at the right top corner, put a right foot on the machine and let the foot follow the edge of the leather. Keep the right walking foot against the edge all the way around and it will sew great. Cobra 4.

Thanks to all.

Red Cent- I as wondering about that, but was not sure it would feed a even stitch, that is great news, I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Mark

I have an inline presser foot that I use when there is only a narrow sewing flange and a raised shape on the left. I got it from Bob Kovar, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It is shorter than the standard feet and requires lowering the presser bar. I also have a left and right set of "paddle feet" from him. The right toe paddle foot has a paddle shaped tab that sits in front of the inside foot, while the side sits on the edge of the sewing flange. It saves my butt sometimes when I don't want to readjust the height of the presser bar to accommodate the shorter inline trailing foot.

paddle-shaped-feet.jpg

post-11118-0-67361500-1394128572_thumb.j

Thanks Wizcrafts, I will look into buying those pressed feet, a lot of my projects seem to have a small sewing flange, they look like just ticket.