I don't know too much about oils, an would like to know, what is the difference between Aussie an MPB. What one works better ?

Thank you

Dan :cowboy:

Never used MPB, not even sure if it's available here in the UK.

They are both waxed based finishes, that will need to be reapplied at some point (depending how heavily the item is used, and what it is exposed to).
I have used the Aussie myself, spread onto warm leather, worked in with fingers, and used a hairdryer to help it soak in; then buffed with plenty of elbow grease. It gave a lovely warm lustre, rather than a glossy finish from the acrylics, which some people prefer :)

I use Aussie I find it the best for the work I do it also goes a long way well worth it's money

I use a cloth that's been inpregnated with it and just warm it up a little

Atb

I use Aussie I find it the best for the work I do it also goes a long way well worth it's money

I use a cloth that's been inpregnated with it and just warm it up a little

Atb

Same here. Using the same cloth stops you using too much out of the tub.

I used it to good effect on a gun stock after stripping with Nitromors... Looks excellent!

And you get a pretty huge tub for the money.

Sorry, can't comment on the other stuff mentioned.

A little off topic, was in my local Tandy shop recently and the Manager mentioned that he even uses Aussie as a hand lotion.

and puts on before he dyes/works with glue. Never used it myself these ways. Curious if any others have?

RenMan

A little off topic, was in my local Tandy shop recently and the Manager mentioned that he even uses Aussie as a hand lotion.

and puts on before he dyes/works with glue. Never used it myself these ways. Curious if any others have?

RenMan

I've thought about this, my opinion is that leather balm, aussie, etc are leather conditioners and hands are covered with untanned (unless you live in the south) leather. I'm not sure though, I'm pretty sure I have a problem from dyes and denatured alcohol and lacquer finishes drying and irritating my hands.

Chief

Chief,

Same here, I was asking him that I use a lot of barge (with dyes you mentioned also) on projects, mostly linings and he suggested using some Aussie, because my hands have been cracking. I guess we are "a hide" just like the Veg tan we work with..lol.

I wear nitrile gloves when applying Aussie, and I do it by hand. I get just a little bit at a time, enough to do a few inches. The gloves don't hold the product, so I lose almost none. When I'm done, I come back and wipe it down with a rag to get any excess off.

By the way, Aussie is mostly beeswax, petroleum jelly, and a petroleum distillate like naptha to keep it thin. Once the petroleum products evaporate, you're left with a mostly beeswax finish.

I just started using Aussie and checked the MSDS and it more like 70% Petrolium Jelly, 15% waxes and the rest a solvent. It's a lot of $$ for a tub of Vaseline??!!

Cya!

Bob

I love aussie. I use it on almost everything.

Oh it really works great! I am very impressed with the finish it gives, especially when set out in the AZ sun for a while. I have a chemistry background and I'm going to do some testing. I did a lot of work in formulating soy solvents and I suspect the soy based petroleum jelly should be better for the leather than petro based jelly.

Who knows? I'll call it Yankee!

Cya!

Bob

LOL! I'll buy it.

First customer is free right....right?

Edited by Hi Im Joe