Andrew Chee

Help Timing A Pfaff 335

16 hours ago, Uwe said:

Thank you Uwe, I have done the 1.8mm rise adjustment. It is the hook and needle touching that i need help with. I have the manual but i don't understand where 4 and 5 is...and by unscrewing the 1 and 2, i don't seem to be able to move the hook away from the needle so they don't clash. Please advise anyone? Thanks'

According to the Pfaff 335 Service Manual (I only have the German language version for the modern casting Pfaff 335), you loosen two screws marked 1 and the screw marked 2 (on the back side). Then you can rotate and shift the hook to the correct position to line up with your needle in the hook timing position (1.8mm rise after bottom dead center). Make sure cone gear (4) meshes nicely, then tighten screws again. 

Pfaff 335 hook timing specs.jpg

Items 4 and 5 in the adjustment diagram are at the other end of the hook driving shaft (see the second colored diagram.) You'll have to tilt the machine back to see it.

In order to tilt the machine back, you have to remove the bottom (green) screw in the guide finger on the right side of the body where top and bottom separate. The plastic belt cover may hide that guide finger and screws.

Pfaff33-tilt-lock-screw.jpg

Item 3 and 5 in the adjustment diagram are the bearing bushings. The bushings can be shifted (after loosening the set screw) within their casting tunnels to make them touch the hook on the left and the cone gear on the right. By doing so you ensure that the hook driving shaft and hook can't move axially, because the bushings limit movement in both directions. But that also means that in order to move the hook (and shaft) axially for adjustments you need  to loosen all the screws indicated in the adjustment diagram.

A few things to watch out for: The bushings have holes in the top that allow oil to reach the shaft - don't rotate the bushings or shaft oiling may not work properly. Make sure the top set screw on the cone gear (4) stays on the flat spot of the shaft (loosen it just a little., and make sure you tighten this screw before the other one) The flat spot is wide enough to allow axial movement for adjustments.

I color coded the diagram below. Perhaps it will make more sense that way. 

Pfaff335-diagram-3 copy.jpg

15 hours ago, Uwe said:

Items 4 and 5 in the adjustment diagram are at the other end of the hook driving shaft (see the second colored diagram.) You'll have to tilt the machine back to see it.

In order to tilt the machine back, you have to remove the bottom (green) screw in the guide finger on the right side of the body where top and bottom separate. The plastic belt cover may hide that guide finger and screws.

Pfaff33-tilt-lock-screw.jpg

Item 3 and 5 in the adjustment diagram are the bearing bushings. The bushings can be shifted (after loosening the set screw) within their casting tunnels to make them touch the hook on the left and the cone gear on the right. By doing so you ensure that the hook driving shaft and hook can't move axially, because the bushings limit movement in both directions. But that also means that in order to move the hook (and shaft) axially for adjustments you need  to loosen all the screws indicated in the adjustment diagram.

A few things to watch out for: The bushings have holes in the top that allow oil to reach the shaft - don't rotate the bushings or shaft oiling may not work properly. Make sure the top set screw on the cone gear (4) stays on the flat spot of the shaft (loosen it just a little., and make sure you tighten this screw before the other one) The flat spot is wide enough to allow axial movement for adjustments.

I color coded the diagram below. Perhaps it will make more sense that way. 

Pfaff335-diagram-3 copy.jpg

Aww Thanks for the diagram!!!!!!! I manage to release the shaft and it moves...but how do i move bushing 3? I did loosen the screw set that holds it but i don't seem to able to move it towards sideways.