I am pretty impressed with the Power Mallet after some surgery and wishes to manage further damage but don't want to be out of leather work and feel the Power Mallet may be the answer. Anyone out there that may own, have used one or has comments I would appreciate your input. My work is more hanging art than functional items or saddles, etc. I would really appreciate omemnts and input. Thanks

It may be the answer for you but I watched the videos on their web site and I wasn't impressed at all. The swivel work looks awkward and rather crude. When he was beveling with the tool, I saw him run out of the carved cut twice which looked pretty lame to me. And I noticed that he didn't seem to good at tapering off his bevels toward the end of lines.

So, if a fellow is crippled up and can't use a mallet, maul, or striking stick, I suppose this might work for him, but I don't see it replacing conventional carving without a lot of improvement.

Also take a look at GRS engraving tools. The handpieces are smaller and with just an air hose feeding the they arr much more flexible than the flexshaft driving the power mallet. Downside is the GRS stuff takes a small diameter tool, but that can easily be worked around. The GRS stuff is air driven requiring a compressor which can be remotely located. Believe me you will get sick of listening to that flexshaft.......

Edited by J Hayes

I'm also considering a Power tool to speed the tooling process, but without sacrificing quality. Nothing wrong with power tools to do the same job traditionally done with hand tools. Same in wood working, there are the purists and there are those of us that can do the same with power tools faster and sometimes better and with a shorter learning curve. Let me know if there is a further word on this subject.

I'm also considering a Power tool to speed the tooling process, but without sacrificing quality. Nothing wrong with power tools to do the same job traditionally done with hand tools. Same in wood working, there are the purists and there are those of us that can do the same with power tools faster and sometimes better and with a shorter learning curve. Let me know if there is a further word on this subject.

Let you know? All you have to do is click on the upper right corner of this page where it says "FOLLOW THIS TOPIC" and they will inform you of any further posts.

Saw a video once of someone who used a dremel engraving tool and enlarged the collet to fit bevelers and such, might be a more inexpensive way to try it out

I also saw the video on the power mallet...I wasn't impressed with the quality of use.

Yes I know Wyomingslick. Let me know. I'm not a dumb a--. Just a simple request.

Anybody give these a try yet?