As a complete nooby, I've been reading the discussions on this forum for a long time. I'll be producing handbags, saddlebags, briefcases, portfolios, throw pillows, dog collars and leashes, among other things. I'll be using both chrome and veg tan. Lately, I've been assembling a list of bench and floor equipment for a shop. I'm trying to think ahead and cover as many likely situations as I can.

My question is: What machinery do you find most useful, and what brands do you prefer? Please tell me about your favorite hand-operated, hydraulic, and electric equipment that you hold or have mounted on a bench or the floor. You can exclude sewing machines and small hand tools such as hand stamps and swivel knives. Thanks in advance for all your help. This forum is an amazing resource!! :gathering:

Does a Dremel tool count? I use it daily to cut, sand, etc....I find it to be very useful around the shop.

I also use a belt sander on almost every project to even-out and smooth edges.

A one-ton, and a six-ton arbor press.

And of course, my computer :taptap:

Yes a dremel certainly counts.

Thanks Rayban -- That's exactly what I wanted to know.

What kind of belt sander do you have?

My belt sander is a Craftsman from Sears, 42" belt. Costs about $140 a few years ago. It's kinda fast. Gotta be sure to keep the edges wet else you burn them. Better to have a variable speed if you can.

Harbour Freight has a 30" for about $40 that works well too for leather work.

Edited by Rayban