Sign in to follow this  
whinewine

Softening dry snakeskin???

I purchased a snakeskin that, in addition to being very dry, was folded, instead of being rolled. There are many folds, not just 1 or 2. So my question is:

How do I get the folds out & make the skin flat again- is there something I can soak it in to relax it so the folds flatten out? (It's not so dry that it cracks when I unfold it, but it's just that the folds are there & won't go away).

Thanks.

russ

Rose oil and Glysern

I have the same question as well. A guy at work saw a cell case I am working on and he asked me if I could make a hatband out of a rattler skin he had. Shot it on his back porch lol.

He did not scale it or tan it, just dried it. It is also a few years old, creased and really dry.

What proportions of rose oil and glycerin is used? Is there anything else that will work to soften it?

What I plan on doing is getting the size of the hat and using a backer piece of leather wrap the skin around it and cement it. Any thoughts on that? (he did keep the rattle and wants a tail on the band in the back)

Some info about care of snakeskin. The article is specific to snakeskin boots but much of the info is good for general snakeskin care.

Snakeskin Care