zaynexpetty

Darkening Natural Veg Tan Without Stains/dyes?

The title is pretty self explanitory. I am wondering how you darken natural leather without the use of dyes or stains. I have a dark brown dye. But to get an even coat without an air brush requires multiple coats and it darkens it a ton. How would I get a light brown color without dying or staining? I would prefer something that started out very light, maybe 2 or 3 shades darker than natural, and got darker with multiple applications.

Thanks

Zayne

Neatsfoot oil will do that.

Gets darker with multiple coats.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

And give it a sun tan. After each coat, expose the leather to good sunshine and the leather will "tan" beautifully.

Neatsfoot oil will do that.

Gets darker with multiple coats.

How long do you generally wait in between coats? And how thick do you lay it on with each coat?

Thanks

Zayne

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

I've heard that can go rancid, do you have experience with this? I guess people say the same thing about neatsfoot oil going rancid. I dont know how true this is.

Thanks

Zayne

And give it a sun tan. After each coat, expose the leather to good sunshine and the leather will "tan" beautifully.

I think I will try this. Great recommendation, thanks.

Zayne

Been using extra virgin olive oil on horse tack and my leather projects for at least 15 years. Never even heard of it going rancid until someone brought it up on an internet forum not to long ago.

We use to by tan horse bridles and saddles, dunk them in olive oil, and hang them in the sun. Depending on how long you let the olive oil soak, we could turn it from light carmel color to almost black. ( A lot of time we could find tan tack cheaper, or they didn't have what we wanted in black - a local tack salesman told us about the olive oil. He was in the tack business for 40 years)

The U.S. Cavalry use to use a olive oil mixed with castor oil on their saddles.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Been using extra virgin olive oil on horse tack and my leather projects for at least 15 years. Never even heard of it going rancid until someone brought it up on an internet forum not to long ago.

We use to by tan horse bridles and saddles, dunk them in olive oil, and hang them in the sun. Depending on how long you let the olive oil soak, we could turn it from light carmel color to almost black. ( A lot of time we could find tan tack cheaper, or they didn't have what we wanted in black - a local tack salesman told us about the olive oil. He was in the tack business for 40 years)

The U.S. Cavalry use to use a olive oil mixed with castor oil on their saddles.

I think I will have to give extra virgin olive oil a try. Thank you for the information and the bit of history.

Zayne

I have darken some with a super strong brew of coffee. Brew it super strong then simmer on the stove to reduce it and make it even stronger.

I have also heard of using walnut hulls to darken leather. I haven't tried it yet though. Supposed you take green walnut hulls and boil them to get the pigment out. Then apply the pigmented water to the leather.

I have darken some with a super strong brew of coffee. Brew it super strong then simmer on the stove to reduce it and make it even stronger.

I have also heard of using walnut hulls to darken leather. I haven't tried it yet though. Supposed you take green walnut hulls and boil them to get the pigment out. Then apply the pigmented water to the leather.

Both are great suggestions. I will have to try them. I always for the more natural, chemical free way of doing things. My grandpa even has a few walnut trees! Thanks!

Zayne

I use olive oil and just reg veg oil. If I want it darker I'll dip it in oil instead of rubbing it with several coats. I have not noticed any smell.

Do know if olive oil also makes the leather more supple/flexible? I know that neatsfoot oil does this, but I would prefer to use olive oil instead, if it has that added benefit.

Thanks

Zayne

I use to get all of our horse tack out of yhr barn and give it a good oiling every year. One time I thought I'd get off cheap and use vegatable oil, and that stuff did go bad. It took me forever to scrub all the mold and crud growing on the bridles and halters off. Never had that problem with extra virgin olive oil.

Another reason I would soak new reins in olive oil is because it would soften them up. They came very stiff like veg tan leather.

Just a word of caution using any sort of oil! Yes, it makes it darker and supple, but too much can affect the strength of leather, and leaves the surface dull. I make my own leather dressing from beeswax, paraffin wax and neatsfoot oil, melted together into a creamy paste. This works into and softens the leather ( applied both sides, particularly the flesh side). Then, after leaving for an hour or so, buff up with a cloth to a glowing shine. Natural leather turns to a golden tan and is also water resistant, due to the bees wax content. To make this a darker brown, treat with cold black tea and allow to dry overnight before applying the leather dressing.

Lois

Just a word of caution using any sort of oil! Yes, it makes it darker and supple, but too much can affect the strength of leather, and leaves the surface dull. I make my own leather dressing from beeswax, paraffin wax and neatsfoot oil, melted together into a creamy paste. This works into and softens the leather ( applied both sides, particularly the flesh side). Then, after leaving for an hour or so, buff up with a cloth to a glowing shine. Natural leather turns to a golden tan and is also water resistant, due to the bees wax content. To make this a darker brown, treat with cold black tea and allow to dry overnight before applying the leather dressing.

Lois

I use the Bee's wax and Neatsfoot oil paste using equal amounts of bee's wax and oil by weight.. What is your formula when you add the paraffin? When you do the flesh side are you getting color rub?

Thank you

Oh and to the original OP question .. the coffee works well and then finish it up with a light application of oil and you have a nice light to medium brown.

Alex

Edited by Boriqua

If you are looking for a way to really darken leather in a more natural way, look up vinegaroon. I use that in combination with olive oil..sort of a salad for the leather.

If you want to "age" leather, a few days in SW sun will do the trick. I had to match a mandolin strap to much older guitar strap for a customer. # days in the sun plus some neatsfoot made it look 15 years old.

Cya!

Bob

If you want to "age" leather, a few days in SW sun will do the trick. I had to match a mandolin strap to much older guitar strap for a customer. # days in the sun plus some neatsfoot made it look 15 years old.

Cya!

Bob

Any chance you have a pic. I would love to see the aging the sun produced. What color did you start with or did you use the natural strap?

Alex

Edited by Boriqua

741.png

I started with standard natural vegetable tan \.

Cya!

Bob