ban0706

Finish That Does Not Darken Veg Tan Leather?

I have searched through the forum to find the answer to this so apologies if it is somewhere and I have not been able to find the answer!

Does anyone have suggestions on the best finish to use to maintain the natural, light look of veg tan leather and that won't darken it at all/much? I know the veg tan will darken as it is used but I would like it to happen as naturally as possible. Is it even necessary to use a finish if I am not dying or tooling the leather?

I make wallets/cases/bags and am also wondering how necessary it is to use any conditioner. Is a persons natural oils enough to keep the leather from drying?

I have tried a few different products such as neatsfoot oil, a nf/beeswax blend, and resolene, but it seems that most darken the leather or leave it with a very unnatural, shiny look. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it! Otherwise I'll just keep searching for other products and keep testing and testing.

Thank you.

From what I have read if you do any tooling you need the oil in it. I use neatsfoot and after a couple coats it does darken a slight amount. I have read olive oil can be used but unsure if it darkens I would assume it does because your replacing the missing oil which is needed to keep.leather soft and not cracking. I'd suggest try olive oil and just 2 applications. Beyond that you can probably use denim or other rougher material.to cut the shine down some. That part is a guess.

Leather will be darkened over time just by simple light, . . . daylight does it, . . . look at any older saddle, . . . and there just isn't much that can be done about it.

The one single product I know of that will help, . . . Resolene, . . . as it has a UV blocker (the part that darkens the leather), . . . but it's not guaranteed forever.

I did some "samples" a few years ago for a show, . . . one only had Resolene on it, . . . it is still pretty close to the original veggie tan color.

Good luck, may God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the responses so far! I should clarify my comment about the leather not darkening -- I know it will darken as the leather is used and I want this to happen. I am not trying to prohibit this natural occurrence to take place! This is what drew me to using veg tan leather rather than other types of leather.

My main concern is trying to have my finished product look as close to the natural color as possible when it is finished rather than being significantly darkened by a finish. I want the users own oils as well as the sun, wear and tear, etc. to be what darkens the leather. I've attached a photo of what I envision.

I'll give the resolene another try…it's quite possible I was using it wrong. iPad_portfolio_large.jpg

Thanks again!iPad_portfolio_large.jpg

post-50380-0-14500600-1394892292_thumb.j

Hi Ban0706

Hmm have to give the top coat some thought but for now I can tell you my favorite favorite favorite oil is Lexol NF non darkening oil.

http://www.lexol.com/product_neatsfoot.aspx

I learned this from a local saddle maker when I was admiring his beautiful light colored saddles. I can't remember what his top coat was but I plan to go buy some more Lexol from him again soon, maybe he will be kind enough to tell me. It will not darken the leather. It is such a light, non greasy oil it is just a joy to use. I suppose it would be possible to over oil with it but you would have to work at it :-)

I am so obsessed with making things waterproof that I have not used many of the more permeable finishes.

Cheers, Toolingaround

Hey, Toolingaround, . . . thank you for the update.

I have stayed away from NF simply because it DOES darken, . . . and if you want to keep the shade simple and clean, . . . can't do it with that.

But the fact that they advertise it as non darkening, . . . i WILL be getting a jug of it.

Gonna play with it, . . . and some day, if I live that long, I want to make a saddle for a special young lady (great niece), . . . and it will be as natural as I can make it.

Thanks again, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

May I suggest Skidmore's Leather Cream. I have used this for many years on show saddles. When applied it is hard to see the difference between the natural leather and conditioned leather.

Skidmore's

1-800-785 2466

www.skidmores.com

Bob

Hi Dwight

That is one case of truth in advertising, you will love it! I have been experimenting mixing it with my angelus alcohol dye. Wow is all I can say. After I torture more leather scrap I plan to post about it.

Ban0706 I forgot to add than in my humble opinion I think veg tan needs oil and some protection in the form of a finish. I recently unroled one of my precious few sides of leather to cut a strap and after this looong dry winter the darn thing cracked all over the place so I need to oil them :-(

Natural aged patina, scuffs and wear marks, cool! Icky grubby dirty, not so nice. Without a protective finish of some sort the dirt gets right into the leather and even with oxalic acid and/or saddle soap it is hard to get clean. I have been trying to clean some dirty spots on naked leather with limited results. Diluted lemon juice worked the best but turned the leather slightly pink and is hard on it. Anyhow my point is it is easier to keep the leather clean with a finish. Then the lovely natural aging shows through but the icky bits can be washed off. Even with my water resistant finishes the leather still ages nice. My two cents.

Cheers, Toolingaround

Thanks again y'all! I just ordered some Skidmore's and am going to get some of the Lexol non-darkening oil and do a few tests with these products. The more I research the various conditioners and finishes, the more overwhelmed I get! I'm hoping the Skidmore's is what I am looking for because it seems to be an all in one product that is also environmentally friendly.

Also, after doing a lot of research on other folks that sell veg tanned leather good (not tooled) it seemed like a lot of them use the fact that they do absolutely nothing to the leather (as in no conditioners and no finishes) as a selling point. Does this mean that it may not be necessary to take all of these steps of conditioning and finishing? To me I feel like I should do as much as possible to ensure I have a quality product going out the door. But maybe I'm wrong!

Does anyone have more to add on this?? Good discussion, but right now I am still stuck between (way too many) products. Some say resolene, others say tan kote, then I've got suggestions for dyo cream, bick 4, urad cream, mixed reviews on whether the neatsfoot does or does not darken… I realize personal tests is probably the best since our views on lightness may all be different, but u seriously shouldn't have to buy 6 or 7 products just for a test!! Should you? Has anybody already bitten the bullet on this and is willing to share their results?

I too prefer my veg tan more on the "pink" side and would refer to keep it that way. I dont find the russet color very appealing, and definitely not on a brand new product. But Id still like to add at least 1 layer of protection, especially for my wallets and bespoke footwear which naturally gets lots of traffic from use. ANybody?

Everyone can suggest products and you'll get a hundred different o es for the same thing. I think you'll just have to try some and find what works for you. I use neautral kiwi shoe wax sometimes. Other times o use resolene. But in this case you don't want to use resolene. And I'm unsure if the shoe polish had a uv blocker (though I think it does not). There is also Aussie leather conditioner and carnauba creme. 

I just say try one or two new products on a piece of scrap and see how u like it. 

Yea looks like thats what Ill have to do. I've also found Skidmores in this process and that too seems to darken leather in some cases quite drastically. 

Im starting to think that a lot of leather workers who also prefer this pink veg tan over russet may not be putting any finish on their stuff… Or they have some sort of miracle product… I will just do things the old fashioned way and try stuff out!