I am new to leather working, and already bitten by the bug. It started innocently enough. I needed a sheath for a couple of handmade knives that were taking up room in the safe, but weren't being used. Half a dozen sheaths later, I decided that I would try my hand at making a holster. I needed a different OWB holster for one of my guns and didn't want to drop $100 for one. Now SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars later, I am a full blown addict looking for new reasons to work with leather and buy new tools :(. I have just started experimenting with carving and decorative stamping and am planning on building some collars, belts, and who knows what else. Here are a couple of the holsters I made. The first was a pancake holster for my step-father's S&W Shield 9. It is a small gun and I had to change my design a few times in order to make he grip easily accessible. The second is an Avenger style holster for my DW CBOB. It is very minimalistic and carries exceptionally well. This was also my first attempt at a double mag holster and snaps. Both holsters have a thin, hidden strip of steel between the holster and reinforcing band to help with re-holstering. I am open to critique, as I want to improve my craft. I know my stitch lines can use a little work in the straightness department. A good straight edge would serve me well :).

050 (478x640).jpg

048.JPG

066 - Copy (640x478).jpg

065 (478x640).jpg

063 (640x478).jpg

post-50524-0-42017100-1395077902_thumb.j

post-50524-0-27997100-1395077986_thumb.j

post-50524-0-37032400-1395078064_thumb.j

post-50524-0-09328100-1395078090_thumb.j

post-50524-0-00872700-1395078116_thumb.j

Edited by doctorbrady

They all look real good to me. Looks like you are off to a good start.

The biggest thing I see is that the belt loops are quite low for that big 1911. When strapped on the holster will probably wobble a lot.

Yep, that's how it starts. Trying to save money, but spending way more than you were trying to save. But not to be regretted, because it's so fun!

I don't know anything about holsters, but they look great!

Red Cent, I understand your concern. I built another 1911 holster with higher belt loops, but it didn't conceal as well as I liked. I purposely built this one as a "high ride" design. The belt loops are very snug and I am pretty trim, so it holds pretty close to my body without too much movement or wobble.