rpfkov

Eco-Flo Professional Waterstain Tips?

Hello,

I am a beginner, trying to use Eco-Flo Professional Waterstain for the first time. I have watched the Tandy video, but I was wondering if any members had some tips on how to use it to it's best advantage and avoid some possible pitfalls. For example, should I dampen my leather first? What is the best method for getting the most even coverage? Can it be diluted?

I am using 2-3 oz veggie tanned leather and Eco-Flo Professional Waterstain, tan colour.

Did you see this

He stipulates shaking the bottle before you remove the cap.

I don't use a lot of this, but have gone through a bottle or 2. The video pretty much has it covered. One key is to keep applying it in that circular motion until you have uniform coverage.

One other thing to note, is that in my experience it will be a whole lot darker wet than it will dry. The note in the video block above says t all. Work it in well and let it dry well.

It's not a terribly bad product and has a built in finish. However, I still Resolene the final product <g>

Hi,

Yes, I watched that video, it was very useful. He does not dampen the leather in the video before applying the stain. I have seen posts where dampening the leather is recommended, even soaking it all the way through before application. Any recommendations on this?

You shouldn't have to do that because it's a penetrating dye, at least from what I see in the video.

It's usually best to follow the manufactures recommendations and he doesn't mention wetting the leather prior to applying the dye.

Well, maybe you should look at this link .

You can also see a definite difference in the increased penetration of the Waterstain on the damp side of the test. While both sides lost coloration with abrasion, the coloration on the damp side to the right was deeper

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OldDogsAndNewTricks.html

Edited by Tree Reaper

Hi,

Yes, I watched that video, it was very useful. He does not dampen the leather in the video before applying the stain. I have seen posts where dampening the leather is recommended, even soaking it all the way through before application. Any recommendations on this?

Hi,

I found this great video on the subject of wetting the leather or not. http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OldDogsAndNewTricks.html