Sona

Sax-Sheath

So this is a comission I got a little crazy about as I just ruined it totally bye trying to harden it....-.- (and I made a test piece... -.-) So actually it had to be made twice.
The second time I skipped the hardening stuff, just soaked it a bit and baked it on a lower temperature so it would get stiffer, but not hardened (and not ruined)

All in all I am quite happy how it turned out due to the fact that this is my first attempt on celtic ornaments (others than just celtic knotwork). It is for a larp-sax, so it is not that thin. But anyway... hope you like it ;)

13030491553_0d41c70e59_b.jpg13030494833_5c82aa8de2_b.jpg13030499253_96def72896_b.jpg13030727024_881569a9a5_b.jpg

Edited by Sona

It wasn't anything what I thought it would look like...I couldn't imagine how you would make a cover for a SAX. But now I know how! Looks good to me.

Nice job

Ha, ditto, Play2mefish. Cool project! In fact, lovely. Did you use an antiquing gel?

Funny ;) I guess you thought more of a saxophon than a "knife"? As I play the saxophon I thought of making a case for mine for a long time. But I guess I´d use more wooden components with some leather applications than making it totally out of leather (maybe because cabinet making is my dayjob ^^). but I think that thought will last for a little more as I don´t play a lot right now and I´d have to order a custom made inlay for it ;)

Actually I didn´t use any antique, but a dark brown Hi-Liter over some prof. Oil dye "Walnut" from Fiebings. I lek the Hi-Liter a little bit more over the antique because it doesn´t change the color as much as the antique (without resist) and I don´t "have to" resist it, but I could. I like natural finishes like some leatherbalm/wax more than resolene or Kote so I normally don´t have to use one of those.

Glad you like my work. Positive responses from this place is appreciated a lot ;)

Yeah, I have to admit I was curious what kind of a sheath you were making for a saxophone. Typically we see "sax" spelled "seax".

Regardless of spelling, the sheath turned out really nice! Good job!

Thanks for explaining your method! I really like how what you did darkened the tooling without obscuring the whole pattern, as seems to happen with antiquing unless you resist.

Thanks a lot. "Seax" - okay, got it ^^. Gonna try to keep it in mind for the next one. And yes, a "sheath" for a saxophone would be a little strange, that´s right.