Hello guys!

Could you please advise me on the following:

I am trying to make a belt using veg tanned leather, and before dyeing it, I used some Neatsfoot oil. I applied only 2 thin coats because I read that too much oil may spoil the fibers of the leather. Still, even after these 2 coats of oil, the belt seems to be stiff and brittle. Could anybody help me to understand how much Neatsfoot oil should be applied so the belt would become supple and soft?

Thanks a lot in advance!

If you are waiting for the oil to soften and make the leather supple, . . . you have about 2 or 3 gallons to go.

Take the belt in both hands, . . . and roll it like the little drawing. DO NOT roll it with the flesh side out, that will cause serious wrinkling.

I even have a small steel rod that I will lay down on my work bench, . . . and roll it back and forth inside the belt to start breaking it in.

I do this before dying, . . . after dying, . . . and after the final finish. That way my customer doesn't get a leather plank they have to try to wrap around their body.

Oil alone will do it, . . . but there will be so much oil in the belt, . . . it will ooze out onto the customer's clothing, . . . will not be a happy scenario.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-75562300-1395316941_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

If you are waiting for the oil to soften and make the leather supple, . . . you have about 2 or 3 gallons to go.

Take the belt in both hands, . . . and roll it like the little drawing. DO NOT roll it with the flesh side out, that will cause serious wrinkling.

I even have a small steel rod that I will lay down on my work bench, . . . and roll it back and forth inside the belt to start breaking it in.

I do this before dying, . . . after dying, . . . and after the final finish. That way my customer doesn't get a leather plank they have to try to wrap around their body.

Oil alone will do it, . . . but there will be so much oil in the belt, . . . it will ooze out onto the customer's clothing, . . . will not be a happy scenario.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, thank you very much!

Nika, I own one of Dwight's belts and he knows what he's talking about. His belt came out very nice and was comfortable to wear from day 1.