sgheeter

Emile James Politype #1

Hey folks, long time no type....

I just received my Very early Politype and got her cleaned up. The foot pedal is a completely broken in half oddball replacement, but I just bought the correct pedal from another collector. It is shipping Monday.

She moves well, but with a little resistance at a few points so I am doingthe cam clean and such tonight.

Anyone with ANY info on Emile James or this model, please let me know. I just a series of demonstrations around California showing these old machines in use (The Victorian Sweatshop) I would really like to get this baby up and stitching like the rest of our machines.

I am an active member of Needlebar and ISMACS so I have those sources of info.

I have attached a few 640x480 pics for reference.

The gross picture is the Craigslist ad photo....

post-48962-0-95272100-1395359687_thumb.j

post-48962-0-31246200-1395359731_thumb.j

post-48962-0-92648700-1395359731_thumb.j

post-48962-0-29051000-1395359733_thumb.j

post-48962-0-73257200-1395359733_thumb.j

a little more research shows the logo on the shuttle cover is for Claes & Flentje. But research shows the Politype is associated with Emile James...

Nice, I have a later machine - probably around 1900 - which some idiot added a motor to so they took an angle grinder to the treadle base.

do you have any history, documentation, threading guide? I am currently threading it similar to the Wheeler Wilson 8 which uses a similar two part tension mechanism.

She sews!!! (sorta...)

Can't seem to attach local pics anymore...

Edited by sgheeter

Sgheeter,

The Politype was a shoe patcher made in Germany. Emile James was a company that imported shoe patchers to sell in this country. There were based out of New York. At some point, Emile James had their name cast into some of the Bradbury and Politype stands. Wither the companies did it or Emile James had stands built here I have yet to find out. They also imported the Bradbury A-1 Repairer shoe patcher from England. I have a Politype in my collection. It is very similar to the early Claes & Flentje which we know as the early Claes machines. I have a manual for the Bradbury but not for the Politype. Still looking for one. I have an early Claes manual but it is in German. I hope to have it translated into English in the near future. I have a few Bradbury and early Claes patchers as well. I believe the Bradbury uses a 175 x 3 needle in the Singer system.

Not sure on the needle system for the Politype. You can PM for more details.

shoepatcher

Does anyone have any information on a Politype #3? An acquaintance has what I believe to be the #3. I've sent her some photos I found on the web, and she indicated the sewing head resembled a Singer 29 series more than the Claes style.

Thanks

PonyEdwards,

Can we get pics of the of the #3 machine to see what it looks like?

glenn

Sorry, don't have any yet. Just what I've seen on the net. It's about 60 miles to where I have to see this machine.

Hi, 

I have a machine just like this would like to know it’s worth and where would be the best place to sell 

I’m located in New York any info would be appreciated 

how do I upload a picture