I recently purchased a nice piece of pig skin and was wondering what people use it for other than linings.

I have more than I will need for linings so looking for alternative uses.

Thanks

I have used pigskin for wallet pockets and exterior of credit card holders. The pigskin I have gotten are thin and works well in multi-layer applications. I have used it backed with 1.5-2 oz veg tanned calf.

Curious, the pig skin I have seems as it would be too delicate to last long as card pockets alone. Would it be recomended for handstitching with a thicker thread on cc pockets or do you use a machine with it? Just seems like it wouldnt last long. With bigger holes. Am I wrong??

If you're talking the micro-thin pigskin, then I personally use it for lining only.

Thicker pigskin, like 1-1.5 oz or so I use to make possibles bags, pouches, etc.

My bad. I must have assumed them to all be this thin. Oops.

No worries. You can get all kinds of different product from pig skin. My possibles bags are made from very oily 1.5 Oz pigskin that's tough as nails and nearly waterproof. Full thickness pigskin isn't a huge market these days (outside of chicharones :red_bandana: ), so normally I see it in the thinner lining leather thickness in full or top grain, and the suede that results from the split.

I think glove makers use a lot of the full thickness stuff.