My latest work, a Indiana Jones inspired, vintage leather suitcase.

post-41013-0-85489900-1395506158_thumb.j

post-41013-0-21233900-1395506175_thumb.j

post-41013-0-97903800-1395506184_thumb.j

post-41013-0-68246800-1395506193_thumb.j

Incredible work! I really like the step by step pics you showed. Really nice. John

Very nice. I too, think your step-by-step montage was well done. And very helpful too. OVerall, a beautiful project.

Very nice

Awesome project! I love the lining... Think I saw the same stuff in a 1965 Mustang trunk. :thumbsup:

Wow, that is gorgeous. How long did it take? Also, what is the name for that cross/X stitch and how can I find out how to do it? I know, rookie question, sorry in advance.

First of all - that is awesome !

What did you use for the wood framework?

And how heavy is the finished empty suitcase.?

Thx for the compliments everyone! I’m quite pleased with how this project turned out. It took a long time to make though! I quess 2 to 3 months in my spare time, although a lot of that time went into figuring out HOW to actually make this suitcase. I quess making a second suitcase would go much faster now I know what to do step by step. @ Scootinnc, that stitch is a simple cross stitch, something like this: http://youtu.be/jFBAwFjLhHo. For the wooden frame I used regular construction wood from a local hardware store, in Holland we call it 'vuren hout', it’s imported from Scandinavia, sorry I don’t know the wood’s name in english, spruce perhaps? Anyway, its 20x30 mm in cross-section.

The weight of the suitcase is 4.5 kg, not ideal for taking along on an airplane, but hey, it’s primarily a thing to look at for me anyway. I quess I’d use a little less thick leather next time, because most of the weight is definitely
in the leather. I think I used 2mm thick leather (because that’s what I had), but 1mm would do just fine and save a lot of weight. If anyone wants to know how I made the vintage look, take a look at this video:

Well done, Jelle! A true representation of a bygone era. Now how about whipping us up a vintage 1932 Stutz Bearcat to go with it! Looks great!

Wow, way-super-cool! Thanks for including the step-by-step pictures!