Redochre

If Money Was No Object....

If money was no object what would 10 tools would you buy?

Let's see, this will be spendy but fun. Keep in mind I'm taking the post as written and talking shop set up here, not insanely good starter tools.

Leather Wranglers round knife (working on this one)

Restored Landis 5 in 1

Rivet press setter

Manual clicker press

New plough gauge

Custom bench with in set stamping stone

Full set of common oblong punches

Full set of common strap end punches

Laser cutter for cutting patterns and custom stamps

Unlimited line of credit at a good clicker die shop

Edited by Glendon

Hydraulic Clicker and Dies

Cobra Bell Skiver

Cobra 24 inch splitter

Restored Landis 3

Weaver Edge machine

Full set of strap end punches

Full set of round punches

Cobra 18

Industrial Spray hood

Lunch

An Upper Swing machine

A Heavy leather stitcher

Clicking device Hydraulic or Manual

A Set of Real Good knifes

A Custom workbench

Stitching Pony

A Set of Ed bear Mauls

A Set of carving Tools by One of the Good makers

A Real Good swivel knife

A Belt Sander

And a walk-in refrigerator for beer and mead!

A 50'x 50' insulated heated and air conditioned shop, an awl and needle sewing machine, a cowboy 4500, 4'x8 cutting table , rivet and snap setter , clicker hydraulic , 10 hides different thicknesses , plus bison and horse even some exotics , an assortment of dies and a splitter 24" . Room to work and show from.

Room to work comfortably is #1 on my list too

The machinery and tool list would be too long to post:)

My top 10

Things that work for me to keep my tools sharp

A good cutting surface

Good solid stamping bench with the rock inlaid

Comfortable stool to work from with good back support.

Good Lighting

Comfortable mauls in weights that allow everything from a light touch to a smasheroo

Good ventilation

Good tool organization system

Tools adequate for the job , they don't all have to be topshelf

Someone to keep my shop clean

An interesting question to be sure.

If money was no object I would buy:

An RV (1) to travel the country,

a new truck (2) to go to the shooting range in style,

a remodel on several rooms of the house (kitchen (3), both bathrooms (4 & 5)),

tickets on a cruise ship to make my wife happy (a package so (#6)),

several new pieces of furniture: a bed (7), a solid chair for my new desk (assumes I still pay bills and write silly posts to forums---8 as a pair) and a obscenely comfortable easy chair/recliner(9),

and for #10, a new Tranto knife from Leather Wranglers because I just plain want one and with money being no object, I would only need to use it when I wanted because I would be retired.

I'm not a professional and I am quite happy with my current mixture of (mainly inexpensive) old & new English, Chinese & American tools - mainly Chinese. They are not fancy but they are more than adequate for my needs. My son taught me one of the most important lessons I ever learnt: being happy with what you already have is the secret to happiness.

I was impressed by immiketoo's - he knows exactly what he would get and it looks like it would help with production (so perhaps a good investment?).

However, if I had to spend money on leather tools, I think the French Blanchard tools look like (& cost) like fine jewellery, so I would get some of those - the pricking wheel especially, not to use (because I much prefer pricking irons) but just to look at - it's lovely :D If I had the time, I might look into some individually hand crafted tools (a fancy head knife or fixed blade clicking knife), although I am perfectly happy with my NOS George Barnsley knife, so perhaps not.

Worst leather tool investment so far: 1.5" 7spi Joseph Dixon pricking iron for about £55 + £12 shipping! Too much money for the wrong tool for me. It initially cut ridiculously wide holes for that fine spacing (despite being ordered "slim") - had to send it back for them to reduce it. 7spi is anyway too high for most of the work I do (4/5/6spi would work better) and tilting a wide iron for shorter runs did not work well for me. Now, for less money than that one iron, I could now buy all the pricking irons I would ever need, inc. free shipping, specifically: 3,4,5,6mm spacing (i.e. covering the range 4spi-8spi) with irons with 1,2,4,6 & 10 prongs. For the 5mm & 6mm spacing, the 10 point irons would be 50mm & 60mm i.e. ~ 2" wide! :) - nice but not strictly necessary :D). Don't get me wrong, if money were no object (& had they not just gone out of business :( ), I would rather get the much longer Joseph Dixon pricking irons - although, on reflection, those even more expensive highly polished French Blanchard irons look awful pretty - I would go for those!

I might buy a manual skiving machine (I don't like noisy, smelly, oily, dirty, dangerous, unreliable/flakey machines - but if I were doing this professionally that would be a different story). Either a modern Osbourne one or a nice old "steam punk"-looking vintage one - they seem to come up regularly here, usually in terrible condition and not working, so a big, heavy, risky purchase.

I'd buy some nice hides, maybe some training, a visit to the traditional tanner in Devon a couple more books perhaps.

Oh...and a big new Swedish woodworking bench with drawers and cupboards, so that I could clear all the woodworking cr@p off my currently workbench & dedicate it to leather-working.

Edited by Tannin

Toro 20" splitter

Laser cutting machine

New mac with a full compliment of graphics and drafting software

Long arm double needle machine (best most expensive available)

Gunsmith lathe with all tooling

Verticle mill with surface grinding capability and all tooling

They cut me off here because im way overboard.....

Anything and everything I wanted

Wow great question/post

I didn't think much of the question until I read the responses.