My sister saw a bag by these folks and liked it, and, being richer in time than money, I made one similar for her for her birthday.

The yellow one is the inspiration by VanHook and Co., and the Austin leather brown bag is mine. 9 oz leather, all hand stitched.

post-38542-0-79094000-1396189996_thumb.jpost-38542-0-39855700-1396190052_thumb.jpost-38542-0-25387800-1396190054_thumb.jpost-38542-0-00219600-1396190057_thumb.j

nice.... I like that....

Thank you, Needles and Duane!

Well you are a good sister :clapping:

Just in case my birthday is on the first of march :thumbsup:

Great looking bag.

Olivier

LOL, Olivier, it's a little late, don't you think? Thanks for the compliment.

Love it! Curious what type of leather is that? Love the texture....

Terry,

It's called "Austin leather", and that's all I know about it. Aside from it being chrome tanned (of course) and about 9 oz. I love it because it's thick and sturdy enough that it acts more like veg tanned and holds its shape well. It comes in black, gray (which ends up being almost purple) and brown. I got mine from Tandy (still haven't gotten up the gumption to buy things sight unseen from better suppliers), and I don't know if it's called something else by other suppliers.

You can usually get it on sale for about $100 every six months. Otherwise, it's about $150. It's nice that you live so close to the Lawrenceville Tandy. Do you usually buy from there or do you have another supplier?

Thank you!

Ah yeah ok I know the leather you are talking about. I'll have to try some! Yeah I hit the Tandy on Jimmy Carter up on a regular basis lol you have probably seen me in there.....Love the bags you make hope to get to see some in person sometime!

I like using Zack's....from here every order has been at my door in 2 days if I order early enough to get it on the UPS truck....except during the snowpacalypse we had LOL. BUT haven't tried their leather yet, just dyes and supplies that Tandy doesn't carry (The pro oil dyes mostly) was going to order some of their 3 oz veg tan for some testing to see how it is!

Oh btw if you haven't you have to try the Tiger thread....makes hand stitching SOO much easier....Looks like you didn't use it for that one?

Do you mean http://www.zackwhite.com/? And no, I've never tried tiger thread. I keep hearing people talk about it, but I thought I read you could only get it in Australia or something weird. Where do you get yours? I need to transition to better tools and threads, alas.

Yep! That's the place! Been nice to deal with when something was out of stock they call me up always nice. Actually carry most everything I like to use....where tandy does not (better price too)

I'm sure other folks out there are nice too just easy since it is up the road and a quick ship...if I run out in the week can usually have it before the weekend. I've also picked up leather from TheLeatherGuy on Ebay and it was as much better than Tandy's mid level....maybe not as nice as Tandy's top grain stuff but closer in price to the mid stuff, cheaper actually. Waterhouse leather I have tried a couple of pieces all very nice.

These guys now have Tiger thread here in the US and for a reasonable price:

http://ludlowleather.com

He had a thread (pun intended) on here a few weeks back & I tried it....fast ship two days....

I just have the 1mm white and LOVE it...hands love it too....

Also love the coloring on your weekender...How did you do that? Very very nice...

Edited by tiggertlee

Sweet! Thanks for all the links and info. I'm about to need more white thread anyway. I'm impressed the difference is so great that you could tell from the photos I didn't use Tiger.

I think my husband would be relieved if I bought leather online. We show up at Tandy with three kids in tow as it is.

As for the weekender, well, I hate to admit it, but as I was bumbling around on my own, I didn't clean the leather first, so I got a very uneven coat. But, for the actual color I diluted fiebings brown and then added a little red and a little yellow. The brown itself is rather green. The middle I left undyed.

Gotcha! Looks like it was maybe sponged on? Has a great antique look without using the antique! Nice mix of colors in the dye and contrast with the middle....

I've been using an airbrush....makes life so much easier for consistency....but can't get that nice antique look.....Im going to try that on one of my next items....

It gets worse - I actually one of those little wool daubers. Yes, it was absolutely the most inefficient way to apply it barring a toothpick, perhaps. ;) Strangely, since then, I have avoided large dyed projects. Maybe I should just buy a sponge?

Thanks, I'm glad you like the color, but I am seriously thinking of investing in a wide range of antiques. ;)

Ah yes, my husband says I should airbrush things. You haven't posted anything you have airbrushed, have you?

I did but didn't call it out I don't think. Been working on the whole sunburst effect.

A holster type I've worked on with the sunburst effect

Wallet Holster

Another attempt at the sunburst effect on a Nexus 7 case

Nexus7 Case

Nexus7

Small moleskin "wrap"....close up shows the Tiger Thread

Small Moleskin cover

SmallMoleskin

Wish I could draw or cut a straight line ;-)
Edited by tiggertlee

Monica, really nice bags. You have made a lot of stuff. What is that soft looking, kind of textured leather?

Your website has a great display of your process. Very inspiring. It's stuck in a loop of displaying photos, contact and blog don't work.

Terry, I really like the sunburst affect. I'm working on a messenger bag with a mandolin themed flap - if it were veg tanned, I would definitely take a leaf from your book and sunburst it like a real mandolin.

As for cutting in a straight line - I think we all share your difficulty. I can't even get a line to stay straight with a ruler. I'm beginning to realize why people get things mechanically cut out.

By the way, I really like that Nexus case and the moleskin wrap. Very nice. And your logo is sweet, too.

Ralph,

Thank you for looking through my site! I saw your comment and responded via e-mail.

I looked through your gallery, and that bike saddle bag you made is very nice, indeed. And the belts, but I especially like that saddle bag.

Thanks Monica!

I love my monkey ;-)

Terry, I really like the sunburst affect. I'm working on a messenger bag with a mandolin themed flap - if it were veg tanned, I would definitely take a leaf from your book and sunburst it like a real mandolin.

As for cutting in a straight line - I think we all share your difficulty. I can't even get a line to stay straight with a ruler. I'm beginning to realize why people get things mechanically cut out.

By the way, I really like that Nexus case and the moleskin wrap. Very nice. And your logo is sweet, too.

Hi Monica, Wild Bill46 here from Summerville. Just wanted to say I think your quite talented.

I liked your bags. Keep up your nice clean look.

I met Chuck and John in their Atlanta store, a year or two ago before they moved. must be where you go now ? is that Lawrenceville ?

Hi Bill,

Good to hear from another GA leatherworker!

I met Chuck, but I don't think I've met John. It seemed like the other people I saw in Lawrenceville were employees, not partners. I used to go there, but now I go to a new one that opened up in Lithia Springs, West of Atlanta. It's not actually closer, but 285 traffic can be bad on weekends. The owner in Lithia Springs, while I don't really know him, is helpful, and the store is bigger. I feel a bit disloyal to Chuck, but I'll go back to Lawrenceville if I'm that direction. Where do you get your leather?

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated. I look forward to seeing what you and your wife make!

Monica,

Thanx for your reply, I really love to visit LWN Everyone is awesome.

Actually I go to the Chattanooga, Tandy, only 60 miles from me.

I think im correct, Yes, Chuck is indeed the store Mgr. John as you say Employee, and I remember a woman also.

Presently we are experimenting in all directions with leather, as to the style we enjoy most ??

Holsters, belts, coin purses, coasters, Bible covers, motorcycle tank panels, Wallets, etc. it all feels good !

Will look forward to following you here @ LWN, if this ok with you ?

Sure! I look forward to some pictures of what you guys have made.