truenorth

Chromexcel

Has anyone found this stuff for sale up here?? In the GTA maybe?

Hey truenorth!

Springfield Leather sells it online. Hope this helps,

Mike

They also sell directly through "Tannery Row," it should be on their website.

Springfield will get it to you quicker and for less, though they do sell only seconds.

Have any of you been able to sign up on the tannery row website? I try to sign up for a login but I never get a confirmation email.

Andrew

I've submitted orders via Tannery Row and never get a response. Has anyone ever made an order through this site?

not a reply either. I always thought springfield stocked regular chromexcel not seconds. What do regular go for per sq?

I was excited when they set up Tannery Row over a year ago. My good friend used to order from Horween and was referred to Tannery Row. Has had nothing but trouble when trying to deal with them. The guy that is supposed to be in charge (Eric) doesn't respond, is inefficient, never returns phone or emails. WTF.

I saw the above and wanted to reply to the questions being presented. To contact Tannery Row which is our retail arm, please e mail:

Shelley Huard:

shelleyhuard@thetanneryrow.com

Shelley is the main sales contact at Tannery Row and Eric has not been with the company for the past year. This is likely the reason you are not getting a response.

With regards to ordering on line, we would like to offer this but the current US hide markets have made pricing difficult due to the frequent changes we are seeing. The online ordering system is one where the site is forwarding a product inquiry direct to Tannery Row. As the site was recently re-launced, there have been some problems with the ordering system and please feel free to contact Shelley with any questions if you encounter an error. Our apologies for this and if there are further problems, please let us know direct as we have been working with the design group to fix this issue.

Thanks for the support,

John

Horween Leather Company

One last comment:

For Chromexcel we will generally have specific colors that can be pulled and shipped within a two week time frame. These will be Brown and Burgundy.

For colors that are not in stock or current production that need to be produced, we make these up to order and this is where the extended lead times come into play. Make up orders will run 4-5 weeks from receipt of the order.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks for responding John. Looking forward to placing my first order!

Thank you, John. Not wanting to Hi Jack the thread, but wanted to say that before the Eric incident, dealing with John and Horween was a good experience with top products of its kind.

Thanks and please keep me posted when working with Shelley as she has done a good job for us!!

Thanks and please keep me posted when working with Shelley as she has done a good job for us!!

Shelley is always a pleasure to work with. Very quick to respond.

John, have you considered the idea of selling your leftovers or seconds on tannery row, similar to what Maverick leather does? You can use a platform like shopify.com, without needing to work with a design company or developers. Take pictures of what you have, post to your store, sell, and fulfill, all with a few clicks. I know this is probably not a big part of your business, but it would be a lot more effecient and profitable than the way things are being done at the moment.

Matt,

Thanks for the question. The idea behind Tannery Row was to work direct with small companies and individuals on our TR grade material. We have received requests for our low grade products and these are sold direct to companies like Maverick so they can sort and categorize a shipment based on leather we accumulate. We have not been able to come up with a system in house here at the tannery to effectively categorize the low grade leathers to best offer these direct on line.

Thanks again,

John

Matt,

Thanks for the question. The idea behind Tannery Row was to work direct with small companies and individuals on our TR grade material. We have received requests for our low grade products and these are sold direct to companies like Maverick so they can sort and categorize a shipment based on leather we accumulate. We have not been able to come up with a system in house here at the tannery to effectively categorize the low grade leathers to best offer these direct on line.

Thanks again,

John

For chromexcel that you sell to springfield leather I was under the impression they are regular quality leather is this true or are they seconds?

Placed an order today for the English Tan Dublin in 4.5/5 oz. Here are the details:

$13+/foot. Goes down to $9.99 if you order 100 feet or more.

$30 Handling fee. Personally I hate these "fees". You're going to charge me because you had to put your hands on the leather to sell it to me.

~$20 shipping for one side. Didn't know exact price, but still seems high. Waterhouse offers fee shipping on orders of $99.

On a 20 sq ft side, my total will be ~$310!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said it will be two weeks. At that time, I will get a notification that my order is ready. Once I confirm, I will be charged and it will ship. Might cancel to be honest. Don't know if it is worth it. Going to take a day or two to mull it over.

Edited by BigGriff

a $30 "handling fee" for doing their flippin JOB??? yeah, i don't care for those kind of games myself either.

tell me more about this "waterhouse" place you speak of... :)

was considered ordering from these people, but not if they play the "handling fee" and excessive shipping cost games. i don't play those and i steer far clear of those that do.

Edited by LTC

a $30 "handling fee" for doing their flippin JOB??? yeah, i don't care for those kind of games myself either.

tell me more about this "waterhouse" place you speak of... :)

was considered ordering from these people, but not if they play the "handling fee" and excessive shipping cost games. i don't play those and i steer far clear of those that do.

I guess they know they have a good thing, I mean it's hard to beat Horween leather, but I still think it's bad business practice myself.

Waterhouse is actually a vendor of mine at my job. I work in the prosthetics and orthotics industry and we buy a lot of leather. Peter is a stand-up guy. i highly recommend them if they have something you like.

I also buy from Springfield often. I call them sometimes. They take my order over the phone. Check on things for me when I have questions. Will cut most leathers to whatever size I want. NEVER charged me a handling fee.

Maverick has the Horween leather too. I may give them a look.

its a marketing thing. They would rather have a person buy 200sq rather than buying 20sq ft then 180sq on the second shipment. Otherwise, people will skip retailers and buy straight from the tannery and they have to hire more workers. If you question them they will say they have to work extra hours and the fee is for the time spent (and extra worker), which they probably do. Buy from springfield leather they sell at 9.5 a sq ft. If you buy 500 sq feet 30 dollars is extra 5-7 cents a sq foot. Don't blame the tannery they aren't a retailer, they are a manufacturer.

its a marketing thing

i couldn't care less what it is. it's deceptive and it's wrong.

If you question them they will say they have to work extra hours and the fee is for the time spent (and extra worker), which they probably do.

cough(bull####)cough

also they aren't the tannery they are a reseller for the tannery.

the so-called "handling fee" is trickery to make their prices look reasonable. stupid people won't notice it and the smart ones that do will not buy from them...or will and will note how excessive the price becomes when you add their little "handling fee".

still cheaper than retailer for large order, seems fair to me. Idk. If enough people complain they may take it off. hope you find a good source though.

Honestly, I don't think they really care about being a retailer; they probably get a lot of inquiries asking for leather, and they set this up to shut us up. Most of us are only ordering one or two sides at a time, and they may consider it a distraction from their core business. They also might not realize the potential sales bump of having a better website with online ordering, especially if one of the new small time customers hits it big with a product made from their leather. Or maybe they are operating at close to capacity and don't want to grow right now. Who knows.

Edited by Matt T

I think Horween is new to the direct-to-consumer business and it shows. They are used to dealing in bulk orders, which is easier for them allows them to negotiate separately for each customer. They didn't set up a channel, thetanneryrow.com, specifically for small orders to shut people up. I think they did it because they're hasn't really been an easy way to buy Horweeen ever, demand for their leather has to be up and they are a business and they want to make money. Direct-to-consumer is definitely a higher margin business albeit smaller proportionately. They see the opportunity, but are failing to execute operationally and fully capitalize. That's my opinion.

I would love to be in charge of thetanneryrow.com business. I think this is a growth opportunity for Horween if it was done correctly.

Matt makes a good point about capacity. I find it unlikely, but it's a possibility. I honestly think they don't know what they are doing in the online world and do not have the resources to devote to it.