Sign in to follow this  
harrington

Artisan 20" Randall Type Splitter Adjustment

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I bought a lightly used 20" Artisan splitter that was splitting uneven and would wad up the leather on a wider piece. I checked the blade, had a bad spot in it, put a brand new sharp blade in it and am trying to get it adjusted properly. I am getting close, I think, but still will have trouble on a wider piece. Seems to work best if I adjust the thickness to split off in smaller increments. Anyone out there have some expertise in these contraptions? I would like to be able to level wider pieces like fenders and ground seat pieces, just don't want to waste a big piece of expensive skirting. Thanks for the help.

Tom

I would check the distance from the edge of the blade to the side of the roller. I would start at 1/4" on both ends and check the middle distance of the blade once you have the ends set at equal amounts. If this doesn't work move the blade closer to the roller 3/16". Check the middle of the blade for same 3/16" clerance. Go to 1/8" clearance if this doesn't work.

I would check the frame of the machine with the blade removed. Put a straight edge across it and see if there is any clearance under your straight edge. It should be nice and flat.

There can't be to much wrong with the machine it is only a giant leather splitter. Most pull through splitters need to have the blade in the center of the roller or a little bit behind center to cut good. Make sure the blade is sharp enough to shave with.

Good luck with your new toy.

Thanks for your advice, Geneva. I am trying to get hold of a finer measuring device, micrometer or fine calipers maybe, as it is tough to get my steel ruler or tape in any consistent place between the rollers and consistently measure one point to another. It is splitting fairly consistent with the new, sharp blade installed, but depending on the piece of leather, it will still wad up with a wider piece now and then.

Tom