Chesh

New Guy Needs Dye Advice

I recently bought leather belt blanks and would like to dye them white. I am very new to leather working and would like to know if it is safe to use acrylic dye on something like a belt. It is for a costume and won't be going through any belt loops on pants. I am also hoping to make white belt accessories, such as small harnesses for bottles and am unsure what kind of leather (I don't want suede) I should use if I am going to use acrylic dyes. I am attaching pics of items similar to what I hope to craft. Thank you in advance for your help.

post-51160-0-05434500-1396408521_thumb.j

post-51160-0-06660200-1396408526_thumb.j

I use angelus dye and so far so good. Fiebings also makes a dye in all colours. I would use dye instead of acrylics they penetrate the leather, acrylics coat the surface.

I have heard really bad things about penetrating white dyes, especially Fiebings. Can anybody confirm/deny this?

There's no true white dye "out there".

You have to use white acryllic paint. Use the acryllic paint in deluted thinn layers, many ontop of each other (and let dry in between) to get the best result.

you are almost guaranteed to get streaky paint on the first try (with acrylics), I would suggest getting a cheap air brush if you are planning to do a lot of dyeing.

Would using a sponge brush help with the streaking? Also, what thickness should I go with for the bottle harnesses?

If this is a costume I would try spray paint. Fast and easy, but likely not overly durable.

I am hoping for durable. I plan on using it for conventions and costume parties

I asked this ques of several knowlegable people when I wanted white for motorcycle leathers and the answer was you have to get drum dyed or settle for what passes for white from other sources.

Edited by stanly

I have had wonderful success with this product

Tarrago Self Shine Color Dye 25ml. Double #1 White

It is available through Amazon, and their claim is that you can dye black leather white with this product. I really like it ! It is not cheap, but it is good for small projects. It also will surprise you how little you use. You have to apply three to four coats but it does not stiffen the leather and looks great. IMHO

Angelus white acrylic paint in thin layers. It is specially made for leather and holds up very well. Great cost per ounce and better quality then say Cova.

if you search up jacob patterson art you can see this person paint with angelus acrylic on leather shoes. I believe he does 3/5 coats all very light. With drying time in-between

thank you, I have ordered a bottle of fiebing's white acrylic dye. I plan on taking my time and thinning it out. Does anybody know what type of leather to use for the harnesses? What thickness should I use?

I think acrylic dye is much different then acrylic paint....in my experience Fiebings white dye is AWFUL....perhaps the acrylic dye is different...good luck

thank you, does anyone know if it is a good call to dilute it then use a foam brush to apply?