Micrez

Health Implications

Not to scare or deter anyone from the craft.

I just want to know about the risks. In every profession there's always some degree of danger. I pretty much just want to settle my noggin about those risks.

Because I live in a studio apartment should I be concerned about my exposure to my craft?

What can I do to limit and reduce my exposure?

As well as what I should look out for.

This is coming from a young'n trying to make this craft a living and right now I'm not so sure if I should continue.

Thanks.

1) Leather dust from sanding....

2) Vapors from Dyes, Finishes, Glues...

3) Cuts and amputations from evil Head Knives... :bawling: (Kidding about the amputations)

All can be avoided to a degree... your landlord thinking you are Heisenberg may be a different story!

Edited by SteelcityK9Cop

The only real concern is vapors from toxic substances that are found in some glues, like Barge Cement, or things like lacquer finishes. I have a 3M vapor rated respirator that I use for that or airbrushing. Most everything else is fine, although some folks are sensitive to spirit dyes. As was mentioned before, ALWAYS wear a respirator while sanding leather. You don't want that stuff in your lungs.

I've had mine basically in my house for a number of years, . . . already mentioned are the big opportunities: leather dust / chemical fumes / cuts and pokes from those sharp tools we use.

Dust can be minimized by dampening before sanding, and using a vacuum system to suck it away as it's made, . . . respirators will take care of the vapors, . . . but only your vigilance will keep you safe from the sharps.

Quite honestly, . . . I own a head knife, . . . very seldom use it, . . . because truthfully, it scares me. I've always been a bit "phobic" about swords, knives, spears, etc. anyway, . . . and I am just not comfortable with that dude in my hands.

I use rotary cutters and razor knives 99% of the time, . . . and it works for me.

The one thing I would be most worried about as a young person is the possibility of carpal tunnel trouble, . . . and I would concentrate my efforts to relieve my hands of some of the strenuous effort that will bring it on. Several of my friends who were mechanics were bothered with it.

May God bless,

Dwight

echoing what everyone else said on vapors. I wouldn't recommend air brushing without a vent hood, respirator, and lots of breathing room. I made the mistake of air brushing a few pieces black...turned tissues black for over a week.

I remeber doing some reading about it, but don't take my word for it:

1) Chemicals: glues, dyes, finishes. Get gloves that are fit for purpose (e.g. some gloves do not stop isopropyl from getting on your hands). Make sure you open your windows after you dyed. Don't let isopropyl or dye get on your skin and in your eyes. I remember reading that you should avoid drinking alcohol when breathing alcohol fumes but don't know if its true or not.

2) Fine leather dust is supposedly cancerogenic in addition to being harmful to your lungs. From what I've read this comes from statistics collected from the shoe making industry and refers to large concentration of dust in the air from long periods of sanding the leather. I presume it is safe enough if you're using hand tools as particles are much bigger. I now only use a sander when I absolutely have to. Just make sure you hoover after you sand.

3) Cuts. Make sure you follow some basic safety rules. I almost chopped my finger off once. And I'm pretty sure if I drop my saddler's knife on my leg I can slice a good piece of myself off. I made covers for all my charp tools from leather scraps and I always make sure that my tools are in the cases unless I am using them.

Well okay.

I've come to a conclusion about all this.

First I'm gonna get an exhaust fan or dye the leather outside. Of course that's if I use the solvent/spirit based dyes and also use proper equipment such as gloves and maybe a facemask.

Two I'm gonna make the transition from using solvent/spirit based dyes to the water based dyes.

Three I don't sand leather much but I do skive leather a lot. SO I would want to purchase a handheld vac just so it doesn't end up on the floor.

Four In any time I would use a sander or a spray, yes I would use a respirator.

But in any case I'm most worried about vapors. Especially if it's coming from the dyes. I use Fiebing's pro oil dye with a dauber.

As for glues I've already started using the eco-weld glue.

So far I like it.

I also do have a head knife but I always use the roller knife instead, just ease of access plus the round blade can be retracted with a button.

Okay thanks everyone.

I do feel a bit better.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but definitely feeling the hand cramps associated with carpal tunnel. I used to walk with a cane (rheumatoid arthritis, a comorbidity/cause of carpal tunnel itself) and I do a lot of writing with pen and keyboard as well, so I'm not sure I can blame the leathercraft, but it's certainly making the most of the symptoms. Be careful with that one. Dye vapors are strong enough that I leave the pooch either in the other room or in the opposite corner from a fan and open window, but when I'm alone I am not bothered by it too much, even in a smallish room with no windows open. As with all things, mileage may vary.