ducjes

4 Slot Bifold Template & Directions

Thanks a lot, Ducjes. I just got into leather crafting a week or so ago. This is my first shot at something other than a flip card wallet. I just finished doing all my preliminary cuts, which involved one recut and a fair amount of cursing. I appreciate you throwing up the template for everybody to use!

I made the bifold wallet....came out better than I expected since I used mainly scrap leather. Thanks for the design. I had to hand draw the pattern though using your dimensions. Only problem I am running into is I need to increase the card pockets some because they are extremely tight. But I do already 2 family members asking me to make them.

post-48901-0-50727300-1405997342_thumb.j

post-48901-0-41522500-1405997343_thumb.j

Edited by LoneWolf1973

This is awesome. Thank you very much

Many thanks

On wallets as these I have been using the waxed linen thread from Springfield leather. This thread seem a little clunky and thick. What weight of thread do you use for your wallets?

Just wanted to say thanks! I've been wanting to try a wallet and this one fell together easily - it stitches great on my Cobra and is a 40 minute project start to finish. My only want ot change, is to make the cash slot about an eighth inch taller as the cards sit a little proud for me. It looks & works so much better than the last Chaylor & Fenelli interior that I covered.

Thanks for the pattern. I will try it soon.

Thank you for this. I am new to the forum and leatherworking in general. This place rocks!! It is hard to find things here in NJ but with the internet the world is the limit. I am interested in handmade things made in the usa where people take pride in their products. It is a hobby now and I do some things for friends but would eventually like to make it a side business.

Keep up the great work!

Saw this and printed out the free patterm, many thanks. I'm looking forward to showing my work once I get a free weekend, darn day job keeps getting in my way of being a fiull time leather hacker. :cowboy:

Downloaded, printed and filed..... NO! Not filed, in pile of 'To Do's' and I think the wallets will be perfect for donating to this weekends charity fundraiser.

So thanks for the upload.

Claire

Thanks for posting the template up Ducjes.

Thanks for the pattern, this one is next on my to-do list

Thanks so much, it is really great the amount of time, effort and experience that is shared in these forums. It sometimes goes unthanked, but not unappreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks a lot for sharing! I wanted to make wallet badly and you helped me a lot!
Im "in business" about a month and this is my first wallet. Need to work on stitching (and I need proper tools).

post-57715-0-86738500-1418558137_thumb.j

I would also want to thank you. I am about to stitch everything together.

This is out of 4-5oz kind of thick. thinned the center down on interior and exterior

pieces. Did put a crack on the outside one, but fixable?

Joe

post-13948-0-28041400-1418564302_thumb.j

post-13948-0-60227300-1418564334_thumb.j

Thanks for taking time to post this.....but I'm going to recommend against the leather thicknesses listed. There are simply better choices of leather for this type of project than veg tanned leather. For the exterior panel, I could see using 2-3oz veg tan so that carving is possible, but not the interior. The interior needs to be super thin liner leather, like tooling pig skin, split kangaroo...even chrome tanned. If you look at the minimum thicknesses 4oz back, 2 oz interior, and (2) 2oz pockets, that's 10oz per side or 20oz when folded....at a minimum.

20 oz = 20/64ths..10/32nds...5/16ths of an inch. For a comparison I make double layer gun belts in the 16oz range. Remember, that's the minimum thickness. It's likely that if the leather runs on the thicker side of the size range, that this minimalist wallet will be 1/2" thick.....BEFORE adding cards.

A "minimalist" wallet needs to be very thin and compact, just something to keep an ID and one or two cards together, and maybe a few bills. That is the reason you see so many 'front pocket wallets' that consist of nothing more than a pair of pockets sewn together. Small, lightweight, thin, and does only what it needs to....that's what's going to appeal to the "fast moving" customers.

It IS a nice wallet pattern, though, and with some changes in material choices you'd have a excellent product.

I have started using 2-3 oz leather for the whole wallet, with a 3-18 waxed linen thread (3mm spacing). I was dong 2mm spacing of the stitches but it seemed unattractive.

I really appreciate all the postings and comments. It has improved my work considerably.

Thank you also!

I wanted to add that maybe just sewing the slots together and the top corner could be rivited. this way you have behind the slots as holder as well. I was even thinking that sewing the bottom left slot all the way around to the T slot or just another slot cutting out a window, leave it plasticless and have a slide out id space. since the extra room of behind the slots will be there. Just suggestions. im gonna throw these on autocad and play with the design a little and post the finished piece. if it turns out great ill post the template with a definite shout out of gratitude to ducjes for the original template.