I just wanted to say hello to the forum. I finally joined after lurking, and as a beginner to the craft will most likely continue to lurk. I do want to thank y'all for the information I have found on this site and forum as it is helpful.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Welcome, You tricked me into thinking, another German joined the Forum :)

Nope, I am just a Texan from both an old Texan-German and Penn-Dutch family, and I am very rusty. It is just that all the Texas post say howdy. I had to be different. :cowboy:

Well.... welcome to the forum and I have to admit, that I thought the same.... even if I wondered how proud dumb some bavarian guys might be to introduce themself in their slang to a forum located in the USA...... but... your explanation changed a lot about that point ^^

Edited by Sona

Hi and Welcome here,

You can lurk for however long you like, CUZ you'll really really like it here more and more !

This LWN is like no other. A goldmine of wealth, friends.

even if I wondered how proud dumb some bavarian guys might be to introduce themself in their slang to a forum located in the USA

Hey Sona,

"Gruess Gott" is actually not bavarian slang (although used there a lot), it's "Hochdeutsch" (high German) for "Greet the Lord". In Bavaria you usually say "Grias Di" ("Greetings to you") or "Servus" ( kinda like "Hi"). Just thought I'd set the record straight ;) .

I know 'cause I grew up just on the other side of the Bavarian border :) .

Nonetheless, I was fooled, too, when I saw the title.

Lastly, welcome Wynfrith!

Black Dogg

I am very sorry to disappoint you black dog, but actually I live in bavaria but I am originally from the very north of germany. Yes, over here they say stuff like "griaßde/griaß di", "griaß eana", "servus" (in many variations like "servas" or sometimes even "sers" and that´s slang. But the "grüß Gott" is originally a standart german form of "griaß di god", which is truly bavarian slang. It´s used mostly in upper bavaria where a lot of migrants from the rest of germany live, who often don´t speak the "real" slang (like me ;) ) Besides that it is used in some other regions of bavaria, too like "Franken" i.e. But all in all they just got a lot of (different!) slangs around here.... ^^

In the rest of germany it´s no common phrase. It´s known and used to make a fool of bavarian people now and then, but nobody really uses it in their daily life ;)

Where I come from, they say "moin" or "moinmoin", which a lot of german people think should mean "morgen" (Morning) and they just don´t get it, why we use it all day long and even at night. It´s just a word to say hello to sb but has nothing to do with the time of the day ;)

So well.... enough of that german stuff ^^. (Even if I am impressed how much you know about it ^^.)

Wild Bill best way to learn is to keep quiet. That's what the old timers taught me anyway. ;)

Hey Robert, it's good to be here. :gathering:

Sona is right Black Dog that it is not the old high, which would be expected when I speak since Texas-German is old mixed with English for loan words. That is what makes it different from the Penn-Dutch. I could confuse an Amish speaker while we both confuse a German and everybody else would be scratching their heads. :rofl:

I use moin on occasion myself. I always thought it was a Frysk word for morning. Good to learn something new, and least I never said good moin. Boy would I look stupid. :blush:

So after all I found a forum for leatherwork and linguistics. :)

Moin is indeed used in areas with frysk heritage and I think I read somewhere that the word has frysk roots. But I'm not sure what it's translation to high German is. I used it all day and night too when I still lived in northern Germany.

Hahaha, right you are Jazz XD

As the northern germany (so called "Schleswig-Holstein") is the on of the german "lands" (like state, just don´t kow, whether it´s really the correct word for it in english) with the most still spoken languages (! - not slangs) over time there might be a lot just mixed up. So there are frysk, danish, "platt"(-german), high german and romanes, which is like a language from roma and sinti, plus a lot of different slangs.
That might sound like a lot, but actually... even if they are still spoken, every single one might be used by just a minority and a lot of people wouldn´t understand it. But it mighth explain the origins of some words ;)

Oh wow.... did I ever open a can of worms here :offtopic: .

I apologize for hijacking your welcome thread, Wynfrith. :oops:

Sona, while I lived in Germany until I was 19, I never really travelled much farhter north than Stuttgart, so I guess I was kind of overgeneralizing.

I think it was Mark Twain who said "It's better to be quiet and have people assume you're a fool, than to open your mouth and assure them of it." That would apply to my post above. On the other hand I learned something new again :) , never too late for that!

No problem Black Dogg,
and I still don´t think of you as a fool, just because you don´t know everything of the german language ^^. I travelled south to bavaria when I was 22 and I have to admit, that I learned a lot about our language.... and about how you can "bend" it ^^.
If you never travelled farther north than stuttgart, than you´ve really been just in the south, but that´s no problem at all ^^.
I mean, I got two brothers, each of them speaks like... 5.6 languages and both have lived in america for one year (student exchange, one moved again to the USA and lives in washington D.C right now), but one lived in Texas and the other one in Maine. So tell me who might know more about "the americans" and who might be right about "the american way of life" and stuff? I am just happy that I am able to communicate in english on platforms like this (and I hope I don´t make to many mistakes *g*), And as nobody is argueing about this topic there isn´t any problem at all, maybe just interest ^^

Welcome aboard.

Regarding all of the German lessons going on here, I thought I had learned it all after being stationed there for over 14 years. We all learned the proper German versions but being stationed in Nuernberg (I don't give it the traditional American screw up of Nuremburg that everyone else does) we spent most of our time either using the Bayerisch (Bavarian) or Mittel Fraenkisch (Middle Franconia) slang as it sounded much better to us. Wish I could get back there because I miss it so much.

This forum is a treasure trove of information so soak it all up and put it to good use.

OK, I wanna set this straight...Where I come from they say: Wia goats au...or Hanno, Griass de Goddle....gell !!

So, clearly this Gruess Gott must be somewhere far far away from all REAL German language...remember...If you are NOT from Stuttgart....you are just not a Schwoab !!

And yes, Hello to the Newbie and Greetings from SW Virginia....

As we would say over here...: How 'ya..

Ok, Now back to the leather stuff....

Jimbob

Yay, Jimbob you just made my day ^^.
All in all it´s very interesting, how many of you guys lived in germany for a while ^^.
But you might be just right:

back to the leather stuff (even if this topic is quite amusing ^^)

Jimbob,

you must have lived really close to where I'm from. Around Ulm we used to say "Wia gad's dr?" or "Griass Godd".

And yes, Schwaebisch is the REAL German language!! :cheers:

As long as we are all learning. :thumbsup:

Speaking of leather, last night I made my first own design. My brother who is teaching and helping me was over and I brought up this design I came up with to protect my e-cigarette from my keys, pocket knife, handgun (depending on what I am packing), etc, etc, etc. I was worried the thing was going to get beat up pretty bad in my pockets; so, we discussed it for an hour. Then he was all," do it." I got out the buffalo he gave me, and proceeded to make my first ever leather item. Anyway, here is a pic:

post-51219-0-03084900-1399226188_thumb.j

nice one! Exspecially for your very first Leather-item! I like it ;)

But for the next one: There is a "show off" section here in this forum which is for presenting your stuff. More people will have a look at it over there than in this thread I think^^.

keep it up and start to have fun! ;)

Edited by Sona

I am sorry. I was trying to help everybody get back to leather.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Haha, you don´´t have to be sorry. It was just a tip for he next time ;)