Lobo

Hot Box Holster Drying Cabinet

Having a means for speeding up the drying process can save a lot of time, making the production process more efficient. Here is one way to do this.

Kitchen wall cabinet 15"W X 30"H X 12"depth, found in a home supply store as a "demo" model, purchased for $20.00.

2- porcelain lamp fixtures, keyless type.

2- 4X4 electrical boxes.

1- single gang switch box with rheostat (dimmer switch) to control current to lamps

2- 100W incandescent bulbs.

2 feet of Romex wire, #14-2 for connections.

1-pigtail cord to plug into wall outlet (salvaged from old extension cord).

Electrical boxes are mounted to cabinet bottom shelf with wood screws. Switch box mounted to outer side of cabinet. 12 holes of 1/8" diameter drilled in cabinet top with pieces of copper household wire dropping down to interior. Dimmer switch controls current to bulbs, allowing control of heat produced. Gaps all around cabinet door allow air flow to interior, while holes in cabinet top allow heated air to escape, resulting in convection flow.

With rheostat at highest setting this set-up maintains interior temperature between 104 and 109F. Holsters and accessories are affixed to the wires after forming and boning, and will be sufficiently dry to proceed to finishing processes in about 3 to 5 hours, whereas I used to set everything aside for overnight at least.

With a capacity for 12 pieces I can let it run all day in the shop during production cycles, just adding 2 or 3 at a time as they come out of forming & boning, then rotate them out of the cabinet and more can be added.

Total cost as shown was about $40.00 with production time of about 2 hours. Can be used on bench top or mounted to wall, anywhere an electrical outlet is handy.

post-7487-0-07671500-1396722608_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-20768700-1396722621_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-70980100-1396722631_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-62485700-1396722642_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-10785900-1396722653_thumb.jp

I actually bought a thermostat for mine, . . . not built yet, . . . but I like your idea of the cabinet.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm considering a cabinet/box. But currently still using the shoe rack and my dryer. 40 minutes get's them dry and stiffened up nicely. But I have to work around the wife's laundry schedule and it does not work as well when I want to get several things done fast.

I have an Excalibur food dehydrator that works very well, adjustable temp and a fan. An hour at 115 works well for me. I already had the dehydrator and didn't have to modify anything. I can easily get 4 or more in there at a time, I can still use it for jerky too!

Lobo has a good idea with his setup

Edited by J Hayes

I have an Excalibur food dehydrator that works very well, adjustable temp and a fan. An hour at 115 works well for me. I already had the dehydrator and didn't have to modify anything. I can easily get 4 or more in there at a time, I can still use it for jerky too!

I do it pretty much the same way. I boost the temp up a little and cut down the time. Depending on how many trays I remove and the thickness of the holsters, I can get 8 or 10 in at a time.

I love this idea! Sort of an easy bake holster oven, lol. I just so happen to have a cabinet sitting in the basement that I'm not using.

Great job! thanks for taking the time to post it.

I took some osb and made a cabinet 4' X 14" X 18" (this was the size of some scraps laying around). Had some old wire shelving from a closet and added it to the cabinet. On the backside I cut a small hole to accept a small ceramic heater with fan and temp controls I had laying around. Put in a thermometer and I can dry between 5 or more holsters at a time depending on there size at 120 to 130 degrees.

toaster oven works great, but the sun in AZ works pretty good when it 110+ LOL

Might copy your design. Currently use just a platform to lay out the leather goods, and use a fan set about 4 feet away. Works relatively fast, just a couple of hours.