Martin S

Detail Work. Specific Tool Set?

I was wondering if any of you know a tool set or tool numbers I would need to be able to do fine detail work.

A google search turned up some individual tools that might be what I need, but I figured it would be cheaper if I could find a set.
I recently tried to stamp out a Christmas Fern on a 1 1/2 inch piece of 8 ounce veg tan, and all of my tools are much too bulky to really get in there.
It came out fine I guess, but what I really enjoy is craming as much detail in as small a space as possible. I figure I should do that now while I still have the eyes for it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Tandy has small tools for figure carving that start with the letter F. You can do a lot of detail with a modling tool too.

Eden Workshops in France has some incredibly detailed tools in many different categories (I love their ship!). They have toolsets as well as individual tools. All of their tools are brass, so they will last, but they are not cheap. You can find them at: http://www.edenworkshops.com/

Click on "brass finishing tools" in the menu on the left. Then click on "hand tools, gouges, and pallets." You can download a catalog from the last page. (I was unable to attach the catalog due to its length.)

If I'm not mistaken, modeling spoons fit this category, too. I guess it depends on the type of detail needing to be done, though.

It depends on what kind of detail work you are talking about. Craftool has made many very small tools in the past and many can still be found from time to time on eBay. They have made cams that are not much larger than a pinhead, shaders that are only about a 1/4" long, and similairly sized bevelers, backgrounders, seeders, veiners, mulefoots, crowners, etc.

Check out my Vintage Craftool Index on my blog page......http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=31&showentry=68

I do have many of the older discontinued itty bitty stamps for sale if you see what you are looking for there. Drop me a PM if you interested in them.

Hi There

I need more itty bitty tools too. I will be watching this thread with interest. I have made a simple tiny smooth beveler out of a nail that I use a lot. Ask your dental hygienist for old dental tools they can sometimes be filed into useful shapes like small detail modelers. Here is a picture of some tools I used on an eye patch I just finished. Some DIY and some not made for leatherwork. Nothing special but food for thought.

In Al Stohlmans figure carving and pictorial carving books he has some great suggestions for altering existing craft tools for doing small areas too.

Cheers, Tooling around

post-24535-0-37059200-1397060875_thumb.j

Edited by Toolingaround

I'll also add in that Robert Beard makes some excellent and tiny bevelers, particularly figure bevelers if that is what you are looking for. They are not cheap and it's about a year wait for his tools, but they are very well made.

Bob

I have had to have small tools for really small floral work and small picture/figure work as well on many occasions. I have made quite a few tools from nails and stainless bolts. I have also modified about 30 +/- craftools to meet my needs. I have 6 or 7 A104's and at least that many A99/A98's that I've filed down so they will get into really small places. I have filed down smooth & checked bevelers to make them way narrower for tight areas. I have 3 of each of the pointed figure bevelers modified to various widths. When I needed a really tiny thumbprint tool, I filed the sides off of the smallest lined and ribbed pear shaders Tandy made (not makes now) and they work fine. Al Stohlman once said that Tandy's stamp tools are really great tools...as long as you have a file to make them fit your needs. He also made a lot of his own tools from nails. So don't be afraid to modify tools, or make your own to meet your needs.