Is 4/5 oz leather too think for a holster? Its been a while since I have made a holster but I had some laying around and wanted to know if it was worth a shot or if I should go buy some thicker stuff.

It is more likely to thin for a holster unless you laminate it flesh to flesh and then cut out your holster making the leather 8/10 oz which would be sufficient for most weapons.

Chief

6-7oz is about the minimum if yo want a holster that will hold your gun and not break down and loosen up in a short time. Like Chief said if you have enough laminate two pieces of 4 -5oz together now you have a lined holster and one theat will be firm and hold your shooter nicely.

+1 on the other comments. 4/5 alone will be to thin. Make yourself a nice lined holster with the 4/5.

4/5 works fine for IWB for a small gun. My Kahr CW9 lives in a 4/5oz summer special I built about two years ago now. Daily wear for around two years and it is holding up fine.

Dan

From the grumpy old guy: Make yourself a fine, smoothly lined and very serviceable holster by laminating two pieces of 4/5oz flesh to flesh side. From my understanding that's what old John Bianchi did with a number of his back when he was still working out of his garage. ('bout an hours drive from me - the current place is a bit in a different direction but just about as far) When glued up well (I use Weldwood Contact cement) you just treat it as a single piece of leather -- just be cautious lest you accidently fold the wrong way and end up with with a left handed rig. I make all of my holsters this way, They come out lined, and after molding and drying they are definitely more rigid than a single thickness of equal weight of leather. Two layers of 4/5oz should hold well for damned near anything I would consider hanging off a good belt. Mike

Edited by katsass

Sorry about that -- I'm building a holster right now --- from 4/5oz, just replace my statements with 3/4oz in my post. It'll work out just fine. Mike

Great thanks for the help guys, I will give it a try and see how she turns out.

Some of you hand stitchers should go over some procedures. As a machine stitcher, I glue and sew all parts except where the holster folds and meets. Or let the glue dry for a couple of days in the sun:).

Sorry about that last post, I was looking and writing on a different one, and got things all mixed up --- just mark it down to a senior moment 4/5ox will work well. Mike

Edited by katsass

Katsass are you saying 4/5 will work fine on its own or 4/5 should be laminated? Just want to clarify

B Shift : 4/5oz laminated will work well -- single thickness will prove to be too light in weight, It will lose firmness, rigidity, stiffness or molding (what ever the hell you might like to call it) rather quickly if used as a single thickness. Mike

Edited by katsass

Hey Mike...me thinks you been using that contact cement in an unventilated area and perhaps you need to get out in the fresh air and clear that brain-housing-group up a bit!!!!!!!! :rofl: LOL!!!!! Semper-fi Mike

Well mike, since I have so many fantastic and workable projects on my mind, it's not that unusual that I might stumble once in a while. OH, thanks for the idea of getting out of the workshop - the last time I did, I tripped going up the steps and fell on my face. Made Ma Kat madder than hell. I think she was trying make me think that I'd become a doddering old fool. Mike

Edited by katsass

I line all of my holsters with 4 oz. leather. However, I wouldn't dare run it alone without some sort of thick stiffener.