Hi there,

I am wondering if somebody could enlighten me on this subject. I bought Fiebings Antique Paste in NEUTRAL and can not figure out what is the purpose of this thing. It does not give any color, not even light tone or shade, it looks just like some finish. And do I need to put actual finish on top of this? So what do you guys use this neutral antique for?

Thank you!

Era

I've used fiebings antique black and it works like you would imagine it to. It is most likely a thinner to mix into darker stains to get a lighter shade like acrylic paints use a duller. Im not 100 percent on this but it may be why it has no pigment.

Probably you are right David, could be a thinner.. Then why they did not name "thinner".. just to confuse people. Thank you!

I don't think it would be a thinner if it's in paste form as Fiebings Antique paste is, I don't use neutral and can't think of a use for it, I use Fiebings Antique paste to antique carvings and that requires a color. I've never bought any of the neutral because I haven't had a purpose for it, I normally only buy what I need.

Chief

Thank you Chief!

I bought neutral as I thought it would give my carving some light shading, but apparently there is really no pigment in it at all.. So I wonder what is the purpose of this antique?..

Perhaps you can add your own pigment?

Hi there

Check out what Citizen Kate does with it. I have been wanting to get some neutral antique paste to try this out.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9341

Cheers, Toolingaround

It's used to dilute the color in antique paste. You can also use it with multiple colors to create your own color. I use it w just a touch of black to create steel grey.

Thank you very much guys! All suggestions and advices were useful and I now have an idea what to do with this paste. Thank you!

A little late, but I have mixed it with paint to get a colored antique.

There is someone on here that uses it for a burnishing compound. 

That's some mighty fine work by Kate! Thanks for the link!

Would it work for white?

I know maintaining white is difficult, and the natural paste is darker, so I’m worried it wouldn’t really come out white.

"Neutral" ( in the sense that they use it ) just means transparent, or "clear" , which is why some people think it is a "thinner".., it is not..it is what one would call a "glaze medium"..which have their uses..

No..it will not come out "opaque white"( solid white ) ..it will come out "sort of "milky" white", which is unlikely to be the effect that you want..

Anyone "wondering" ..To get "neutral"..as in a "glaze medium" ..you could just as easy use "acrylic texture paste" ( if you want texture ) ..or "acrylic medium" ( if you want thin layer) ..from any art shop, it is the same ( 99%) thing, chemically, and is much cheaper..

HTH

Edited by mikesc

Weaver Leather has a video on it.  It is used to make custom color antique pastes.  The weaver video shows some coasters with a few different Angelus paint colors as an antique.  You mix the paint and Neutral paste.  So you can create an antique paste in any color you want.

Wouldn't you use a dye instead of paint mixed with the neutral paste?

Edited by glamb

I haven't used it.  I only saw it in a video

Watch this video: